quick release buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, it's worse than electronic knowledge, it's advertising to which he is referring.
Bob

This is a French website
Ceinture Marseillaise Beuchat - Sangle néoprène

Plongeur is scuba
Ceinture is belt
And marsellaise if ‘from Marseille’

As far as I understand they call marsellaise the same type of belt we call ‘marsigliese’ in Italian. Perhaps I am missing something, maybe a French mother tongue speaker can help

(general question to all) I wonder if Christian Lambertsen originally wrote S.C.U.B.A. or SCUBA? I can't recall ever seeing any of his papers from that era (early 1950s and late 1940s).

My point is that is was an acronym and it has evolved into a noun. I think Healthways may have started the trend when they started the ScubaPro line.

As far as I understand they call marsellaise the same type of belt we call ‘marsigliese’ in Italian. Perhaps I am missing something, maybe a French mother tongue speaker can help

What I was trying to say, and the difference in language and usage may be in the way, is that a company may name an item anything, regardless of previous usage of the name. It could be that the older belt went out of favor years ago, and the new sellers picked up the name because of name recognition. In Italy my Dodge Hemi example is completely useless, and shows I was not paying enough attention to detail as I should.

Bob

"marseillaise", meaning "from Marseille", refers to the belt which being in rubber doesn't get loose at depth.
This "marseillaise" comes mainly with the quick release buckle or the one use to hold your pant:wink:

"marseillaise", meaning "from Marseille", refers to the belt which being in rubber doesn't get loose at depth.
So, It highly likely marseillaise more related to the rubber belt, than buckle! :)

Back
Top Bottom