quick release buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:)
and in "inox massif" - stainless steel
and "amagnetique" - non-magnetic
Perfect then :wink:

Do you think this buckle design is better than the more common ones?
Like this in the image below. Is it worth changing it?

buckle.jpg

it is very different buckles.
My offer - quick release, just after bending will disconnected.
Normal squeezing buckle - to release you have to take out ALL belt tail through small chink.
It takes more time, it depends on belt tail length, it required to stay belt tail clean and smooth.

In case of quick release - it does not depends on belt tail - it could be any lenght, any quality, even coud NOT be :) (you can sewing both parts of buckle to the both sides of belt) - release speed will not depends on this conditions.
and you can adjust belt length without opening buckle (so, you have not ability to lost your belt in this case)

As I RECALL the belt buckle was called a "Marseilles" buckle after the French city of the same name.

It could have been designed especially for diving or modification/adaption. of some other item as was so much of the original Cousteau equipment.

I do recall that it was the preferred belt of the Calypso divers. The major value was the small indentation on the left which the divers attached their crouch strap

The Cousteau's maintained a home in Marseilles as their permanent residence. At a party many years ago Symone (JYC"s wife) had a long conversation with my wife about their home. According to my very fuzzy recollection of the conversation The Cousteau home was in their favorite French city of Marseilles and over looked the harbor with an astounding million dollar view

Keep up the great posts

Sam Miller, III

The belt I was referring was produced and used before your father was born and possibly your grand father was born and certainly before you honored the diving community with your electronic knowledge
SDM

I do not know about original buckle, named marseille, but in our country Марсельская пряжка, same as Marseille buckle - it is square buckle with tooth.
41BH%2B0Cd8YL._SY355_.jpg

Also Google search showing only such kind of buckles. marseille buckle - Google Search

and buckle from topic subject - I know only named as Quick release

BUT! Cousteau really used Quick release bucle
jacques-yves-cousteau-nurkowanie_aquamatic-wroclaw-sklep-nurkowy.jpg

But how HE named it - it is interesting question.

Hombre
The belt buckle worn by JYC is/was what we in California called the Marseilles buckle

If more was visible it would show the crotch strap attactcbed to the buckle

Thank you for your research
Sam Miller, III

The belt I was referring was produced and used before your father was born and possibly your grand father was born and certainly before you honored the diving community with your electronic knowledge
SDM

Unfortunately, it's worse than electronic knowledge, it's advertising to which he is referring. Advertising also calls a safe second, or second second stage an octopus, and a new Dodge a Hemi. There is no truth in advertising.

And of course, over time, words change meanings. Whether they were an actual or a nickname at the time is yet another story.

I sure hope you are working on a history of SCUBA (another "word" change over time), otherwise the Internet will be the last word. May be an electronic book so it will be real to the new generation.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom