Quick poll - Yes or No

Have you ever asked to see a scuba technician's credentials?

• Yes, and they had them!

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • Yes, but they didn't have any!

Votes: 49 36.3%
  • No.

Votes: 56 41.5%
  • I've never had my gear serviced by a scuba technician (or anyone but myself).

Votes: 7 5.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've seen many people have various equipment failures. Frequently I hear the lament that "I just had this serviced." Usually I take that statement with a bit of skepicism.

But occasionally I see a regulator that has been reassembled by a fool. Missing parts from the first stage; silicone grease smeared everywhere it doesn't belong; and a second stage put together without and exhaust diaphragm (Yup, breathes fine in the shop. Breathes a bit wet :drown: in the water.)

Have you ever actually asked to see the credentials of your dive shop technician?

My LDS subs out regulator rebuilds. The tech has a great reputation around here.

I always service my own gear, I don't trust anyone else to do it.

I've always taken my regs to my LDS for service. I voted no as I never asked to see his credentials. However, the owner has certificates from various mfg's he handles, for himself and his technician, posted on the wall for anyone to see.

I'm doing an equipment course in January, not a technician level course, but enough to deal with a lot of minor at the dive site issues. Really looking forward to it.

Im sure a Very Large percentage of dive stores are just a little concerned about liability, hence uncertified techs would be rarity.

the LDS owner services my gear - old LDS is the authorised dealer of all the goods i bought (or at least that's what the sticker says (confirmed by manufacturer website check). never saw the actual technician (or warranty center technician) cert, though. but that was in California.

my current LDS out here is another story. out here, the LDS owner confessed that he does not have a technician cert from the manufacturer but since he uses regs from the same manufacturer (and is able to get the schematics for my model), so i figured what the hey.

gear he is unfamilair with he helped send it to the local authorised dealer/service/warranty center either here or in Singapore (and yes, the shipping, etc stings !).

I've never actually asked, but the tech at my LDS and I dive together regularly. He has told me about the courses he has taken.

I'm actually scheduled to sit through the technician course the next time the Apeks rep comes through.

My LDS subs out servicing on some brands and does others themselves. My reg was sent out for servicing and I didn't ask to see credentials.

I'm taking an equipment class tonight - and really looking forward to it - while it's just a basic course and won't even come close to showing me DIY regulator servicing, hopefully it will give me a good overview on basic maintenance and simple tweaking.

My LDS has a superior technician who I trust with anything. I've seen him work, and often times I get to watch as he works on my gear.

But be sure to look on the wall too...often times an organized, caring technician will have his/her certificates of training from various manufacturers on the wall. It's like the air fill station; if you don't see a current air quality certificate, you better ask a question or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom