Quick Ideas on Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife is chomping at the bit to make reservations to Cozumel for a quick December get-away. Narrowed it to the Iberostar or Cozumel Palace.

Is Dressel Divers a good op at Iberostar? And if we choose Coz Palace. What dive op is recommended and will they pick up at the dock there?

Thanks!

tkscuba

2 very different resorts. Dressel is pretty good BUT you're dive count makes you a rookie so Dressel isn't a perfect fit IF you want to advance your skills while getting the most value for the price you'll pay to dive. Dressel would most likely group you with other rookies doing timed dives / low on air dives (first diver to hit 700 PSI & the group goes up). Iberostar does allow other ops to pick up at their pier FOR a fee so many DON'T. On the other hand the in house op at the Palace is worse than Dressel BUT many ops are allowed to pick up there, without any additional fees, and some of the best do. Do a bit of homework on recommended dive ops & go from there. BOTH resorts are good, so depending on you're specific needs in a resort I can't say which is a better fit.

Okay, Aura Cozumel was just brought up by my wife. Resort looks fine, but I have some questions on Palancar dive op located there. I've read it can be a cattle boat operation, but economical. We have 37 dives with some great ops in Roatan and Salt Cay (Turks and Caicos). How dissappointed may we be with these guys?

Okay, Aura Cozumel was just brought up by my wife. Resort looks fine, but I have some questions on Palancar dive op located there. I've read it can be a cattle boat operation, but economical. We have 37 dives with some great ops in Roatan and Salt Cay (Turks and Caicos). How dissappointed may we be with these guys?

yes, cattle boat operation, big & comfortable with a head !! i have dove with dive palancar several times in the past & will be there staying at the SABOR. in NOV.& diving with them again..the SABOR is part of the same complex as the AURA...

As of last May any dive op can pick you up at the Aura pier with no cost. I've never used Dive Palancar so can't comment on them. I have always used Dive with Martin with complete satisfaction, small fast boats. Depart no later than 8 and return by 11:30, works for me since I'm an early riser. If you have never drift dive you might hire a private DM for the first day. $40 well spent.

When we stay there (Sabor) I book one of the valet dive ops. It's more convenient than using the house shop. You will get picked up a few hundred feet from your room with all your gear setup. All you have to do is get on the boat and five to ten minutes later get in the water. Some of your second dives will end in front of the resort, it doesn't get any more convenient than that. On Cozumel you don't have to drag your gear on and off the boat to rinse it unless you want to if you use the right op and it doesn't cost any more for that service.

Having said all that on the cold windy days the big boats do look pretty comfortable.

tkscuba, i see you are kinda new to this board, no self respecting scubaboarder ever dives with the in house op, except me !!
they all need someone more better !!!

Nobody else has said it yet, so I will. All the Resorts mentioned are All-Inclusive. While I would gladly stay at an AI Resort in Jamaica (safety reasons), Roatan, even Grand Cayman (good restaurants, but the prices there will kill you), I would NEVER choose an AI at Cozumel. OK, so I did do the AI thing at Hotel Cozumel for the Cozumel Invasion in July - my first AI stay in Cozumel since I started going there in 1989 - but I did not like it. The Hotel was great, but the food was awful, and I ended up eating outside the Hotel for all but 2 lunches and 3 dinners. I assume the food at Cozumel Palace is higher quality, same for Iberostar, but there is simply no reason to avoid going out on Cozumel. It's probably the safest location in Mexico, far safer that most big cities in the U.S., the people are very friendly, and it has many excellent restaurants, for Yucetan cuisine, Tex-Mex, gourmet tastes, Italian, Asian, Steaks, etc. a lot of variety, and a lot of choices in nearly every price range. I love the diving, but I'm a two-dive a day, plus 1, maybe two night dives, kind of guy. And dining and socializing is a big part of the vacation experience. I also think that when you vacation in a foreign country, you ought to grab the opportunity to take in some of the foreign culture, and that's a lot harder at an AI Resort. Yes, AI's can be very convenient if you have small kids that need (or want) to eat at regular times, or who will always grab a hot dog or hamburger or fries at the poolside snack bar, and you don't want to constantly give them cash for those things, or be shocked when all the room charges show up at the end of the week. So if you are doing the family vacation thing, I understand the choice of an AI Resort. Otherwise, my recommendation is to look for a good European Plan Hotel, well located (I prefer near downtown to limit the need for taxis, but I've also stayed at Casa Del Mar several times, farther South near the Cruise ship pier), choose a Dive Op that suits your needs and desires - large boat vs. six pack, valet operator like Aldora, Dive with Martin, or many others, or more bare bones operators, and take the time when you are not diving to explore and enjoy the many fine restaurants and other attractions of Cozumel outside of the cacoon of an AI Resort.

I too ate dinners out when staying at the Fiesta Inn's AI (now Hotel Cozumel) as they were inedible, though breakfasts and lunches were fine. But I felt no need to leave the walls of the Cozumel Palace, except to dive (and a SB meet and greet), during my two trips there. It all depends on how active you want to be at night. If you're adventurous or restless and want to go walking every night, there are plenty of great eats in town. On the other hand, if you're tired after a few long dives and just want to be pampered, the Palace can take care of all your needs with excellent food and drink and decent entertainment without having to go anywhere. No need to think about where to eat and how to get there (though you may need to reserve some of the restaurants in advance depending on occupancy level). Sure Cozumel has some great alternatives to AI, but they also have some great AIs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom