Iberostar and Dressel Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got back from a week at Cozumel.

Previously, we stayed in town and dove with Tres Pelicanos.

This time, we tried the all-inclusive experience with Iberostar and dove with Dressel Divers.

My thoughts:

Iberostar:
The resort is beautiful and well maintained. Food was very good, although the three "a la carte" restaurants were not amazing. We preferred the buffet. (More variety and food quality seemed just as good.) Lots of fresh fruit, seafood, and other good things to eat.
Staff was helpful. Internet wi-fi was fast enough that I could watch Netflix on my tablet. Rooms were comfortable, with great air conditioning and decent water pressure in the shower. Overall, very pleased with the Iberostar experience.
What could have been better? Would have been nice to have a smart TV so I could use my Netflix and Prime Video accounts to watch movies on the TV. Minibar could have used a wider variety of non-alcoholic drinks. (Just Coke and Sprite.)

Dressel Divers:
The Dressel dive shop is right on the Iberostar grounds. Diving with them is super convenient. You walk to the shop and the boats are right there. Because of the location, the dive sites are very close. The close proximity to the dive sites (No more than 10 minutes to the furthest site we visited) and the large boats meant that my wife (who is prone to sea sickness) never got even a touch of nausea. Dive masters were competent and I really can't complain at all about the dive experience.
It was truly the most simple and easy access to diving we've done. Nitrox and DIN tanks provided at no additional cost.

What could be better? No secure lockers to store your gear between dive days. (But our room was close, so we just hauled our gear back to our room and dried stuff out on the deck in between dive days.)
We missed Jose, the divemaster from Tres Pelicanos, who is far and away the best dive guide we've ever gone with anywhere. (He's been guiding the Cozumel reefs for so long that he knows the name, address, and instagram page of every fish, turtle and critter on every reef.)

I just took computers & regs back to the room and left the rest hanging in the shared locker room when I was there. I felt the same with regard to food, and the short rides were great. Would definitely do that combo again, especially if I want to get a bunch of dives in.

And how are the boats? Are they as bad as some make them out to be, i.e., big and packed?

And how are the boats? Are they as bad as some make them out to be, i.e., big and packed?
How long and how deep were the dives?
Did you have to follow a dive guide?

Boats were fine. They are big. Not really "packed." Boats generally tended to have either 2 or 3 groups of divers on them, with each group having between 4 to 8 divers. Not everyone gets out at the same place. A group gets in the water, then the boat goes a little ways and dumps off the next group. Plenty of room to sit, assemble your gear, etc. The dive sites didn't feel crowded.

Dives varied in depth from 60 feet to 80 feet. Most dives lasted a bit over 50 minutes. Shortest was 47 minutes. Longest was just over an hour.
You do need to stay within sight of your dive guide.

The Dressel dive shop is right on the Iberostar grounds.

Did you prebook your dives on the website or were you able to book dives once you arrived?

When I dove with them several years ago, the only contact I could make with them ahead of time was through the website.

If you were able to book them upon arrival, did you get the 20% they offer on the website?

Did you prebook your dives on the website or were you able to book dives once you arrived?

When I dove with them several years ago, the only contact I could make with them ahead of time was through the website.

If you were able to book them upon arrival, did you get the 20% they offer on the website?
Yes. Pre-booked ahead of time through the website.

If you book your dives ahead of time (minimum 3 days, I believe,) you get the 20% discount.

We got that discount because we booked a couple of weeks ahead.

Boats were fine. They are big. Not really "packed." Boats generally tended to have either 2 or 3 groups of divers on them, with each group having between 4 to 8 divers. Not everyone gets out at the same place. A group gets in the water, then the boat goes a little ways and dumps off the next group. Plenty of room to sit, assemble your gear, etc. The dive sites didn't feel crowded.

Dives varied in depth from 60 feet to 80 feet. Most dives lasted a bit over 50 minutes. Shortest was 47 minutes. Longest was just over an hour.
You do need to stay within sight of your dive guide.
My experience exactly

Last time diving with Dressel was 2019. One drawback is the set dive sites. 18 dives in 6 days had me repeating several sites. Loved the convenience, short trips, free nitrox, and surface intervals back at the resort.

Has anyone done the Stay and Dive packages? Are the accommodations and the price of the dives bundled? Do you save any money?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom