2nd trip top Cozumel - who to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and are new divers (less than 20). We dove for the first time in Cozumel in May. We stayed at the Iberostar and dove with Dressel. I didn't care much for Iberostar but enjoyed Dressel. Good DM's, big boats (my preference), back to resort between dives. This time we're staying in Palmar and renting a car so I can go to any dive shop I want to. Anything similar to Dressel but more towards the north end of the island? I'm looking to dive 3 afternoon, two tank dives, and a night dive.
I recommend dive paradise. Fantastic outfit.

FWIW, the majority of Cozumel diving is done in the morning. Dive ops generally have scheduled morning dives but afternoon and evening dives are only if they have some minimum number of divers and they can be canceled at the last minute if someone drops out.

Yeah, an afternoon only dive plan is unusual. I gather that y'all like to sleep late mornings on pleasure trips, but diving and fishing are better in the mornings so that's how the industry generally runs. Breakfast, not so much there, but there are places. I'm not a morning person, but for dive trips, I adjust, nap in the afternoons, etc.

I would contact Blue Angle since they run a 10AM boat. They have bigger boats.

FWIW, the latest regular dives in Cozumel I have heard of is with Caballito del Caribe (website says 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. departures). I don't know anything about them other than what's on their FB page and website. Looks like they have at least one larger boat, but looks like they have a 6 or 8 pack boat also.

+1 on Blue Angel- they need 4 divers for a boat to go out, and can generally schedule the 10:00, 1:00 and 2x tank twilight night dive with 4 divers and 24 hour notice. They are smaller fast boats, but very stable reasonably stable in comparison to other, smaller boats seen around Cozumel.

Edited in response to below smirk.

They are smaller fast boats, but very stable.
Smirk. Pangas are far from stable. I am fortunate in never getting motion sickness, but I do sympathize with those who do yet still scuba dive. It's hell for them when the boat takes its SI bobbing in the water. I raised my daughter to not buy into it, but she developed it later in life. She doesn't get ill when she drives of course, pilots never do, so she's often the driver on trips, even tho her driving scares me so.

Back
Top Bottom