Quick disconnect on at least one shoulder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
my most recent setup did not have any quick releases... i was involved in an incident that got me rolling around and while i was able to keep regulator in, i had to rely on buddy to pull me out of my gear as with drysuit, the fit was just right. i was moving around too much to save myself...

so... if i had quick releases, would it have made a difference? could i have gotten out myself? how much of a failure point would you trade for being able to self-rescue...?

thanks,

--c

my most recent setup did not have any quick releases... i was involved in an incident that got me rolling around and while i was able to keep regulator in, i had to rely on buddy to pull me out of my gear as with drysuit, the fit was just right. i was moving around too much to save myself...

so... if i had quick releases, would it have made a difference? could i have gotten out myself? how much of a failure point would you trade for being able to self-rescue...?

thanks,

--c
If it was a life-threatening situation, you have a quick release. It's the knife on you left waist strap: Pull knife, cut harness, done.

I am not sure why or when your buddy had to pull you out of your gear. Was it during the dive? Why?

I don't think it's just the quick-release that not's DIR, it's the "rolling around" that may be of issue too :)

Chris

thanks,

--c
As the others have already stated, for this forum its pretty clear - quick releases are not DIR, and - as your avatar title states "Solo Diver" - solo diving isn't DIR either.

For most team diving doffing a set of heavy doubles in either a cave (where silting is likely to occur) or below 200' on a wreck is not something you want to do. Assuming you have other divers with you, let them unscrew the situation and move on. An unscheduled release of a quick release, for any reason, could be problematic for the entire team.

But you need to inject some common sense into things as well. Ultimately, you need to do what makes the most sense within a given specific set of circumstances. Particularly if you are solo diving, already a huge risk, adding a quick release may make sense. But neither are DIR, and thus are outside the topics for this forum.

I too am curious why you were trying to get out of your gear? I am not DIR by any means, I more DIR curious at this point. Anyway, why not stay in your gear and have buddy help you to surface? Did you totally ditch the gear and then go to the surface with your gear on the bottom? or did you get out of gear and then drag the gear to the surface while holding onto it with your hands?

sorry about the vagueness, protecting the privacy of others...

yes, QR is not dir, and don't tec, solo...

wouldn't have been able to cut myself out as i was being thrown around too much...

was just trying to get some feedback.

thanks.

As has been said (and was actually discussed this spring, with Bob Sherwood weighing in on it) QRs are not DIR.

Although I have a very difficult time imagining the circumstance where you would be getting thrown around AND need to remove your gear, there ARE times in DIR diving when you need your buddy to assist you or help you solve a problem, which is why we dive with them, and why we work so hard to learn to maintain team cohesion, even under challenging circumstances.

sorry about the vagueness, protecting the privacy of others...

yes, QR is not dir, and don't tec, solo...

wouldn't have been able to cut myself out as i was being thrown around too much...

was just trying to get some feedback.

thanks.

I am not sure I get the protecting the privacy of others. I thought we were talking about you getting out of your gear and your buddy helping you and you having a hard time with all of it.

I have never been in a situation where I was being thrown about. So when you got out of your gear was it ripped from your hands? Did you lose your gear?

How was your buddy able to help you without getting hurt? Were you flailing about? Was your buddy also being tossed about?

I am really curious about what happened. :confused::confused::confused:

If I was getting thrown around (say in surf) that would be the last time I would ever want my gear coming lose because of a faulty quick release.

I can imagine a worse feeling then being tumbled in surf and suddly feeling ones tanks sliding away along with the regulators.

Having been rolled in surf before, I'm glad to know that my gear and regulators are securely attached to me.

I wouldn't want to cut myself out of my gear or ditch my equipment since my only reliable source of air/gas is my regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom