Full Shoulder Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well..... as I move through my journey to eventually become the 6 Million Dollar Man, I am now having a full left shoulder replacement this coming Wednesday. I did my left hip 2 years ago and that all went well and is better than ever...

For my hip, I worked hard on all the PT (in home) and was totally back on the golf course with full rotation drives in 3 months and able to haul a steel 120 with a 19 pony and 24 lbs of lead down a beach in 4 months. My shoulder doc is telling me that the shoulder recovery will be somewhere between 4 and 6 months before I'm able to resume full activity. I want to be the 4 month guy and totally get that following orders and doing the PT is key.

Just curious for anyone here who has had full shoulder replacement and can provide any info on how it all went? Also very curious as to anyone who has had both hip AND shoulder replacement and how you would compare the recovery for the two?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve had my left hip done about 6 years ago, and now my right hip is starting to give me hell. My right knee is also squawking a bit.
Amazingly my shoulders are fine. Even after 400 lb + bench presses when I was young, the 600 lb. squats didn’t work out so well.

I only have a titanium right knee. I feel under-bioniced here.

A funny bone area ain't so funny for me. Shoulder not sure, cervical spine possibly bad. The funny bone area has a problem left arm, cubital tunnel syndrome messes up ulner nerve for little finger, ring finger and hand. 6 years and now will see what peripheral nerve and or spinal surgeons can suggest. A friend I do e with in the past, passed few years ago, had knee done. Prior he was using duct tape right on skin to keep from popping out. Removing tape was something to see. His recount was initially for about a year and a half wished he never had the surgery. Then after that he was good and content with the results. I suspect I need to also contemplate what are my choices once next surgeon visit is going to tell me. I have been referred to one that does both spinal and peripheral nerve surgery. Anyone know what double compression refers to with regard to nerve problems. I will ask next time I am there with the next level surgeon.

OK..... So I had the full left shoulder replacement done this past Wednesday the 25th..... 3 hour surgery from 1pm to 4pm. Then 2 hours in recovery. Spent the night in the hosp on IV pain killer and anti-biotics and went home the next morning at 10am. Here are my personal take-aways and tips...in no particular order..... for anyone planning to have this surgery done. PS....... I'm 68 and in decent shape. I am not a doctor but have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. YMMV.
  • Plan on 2 - 3 days of higher level pain following surgery but controlled to a manageable level by Oxy, which I hate.
  • At the end of the op, they applied a nerve blocker so when I woke up there was absolutely zero pain for the first 10 hours till the blocker wore off...... then it was game on.
  • Predicted to be in the sling 24/7 for 4 weeks depending on post op and PT results
  • If I am a good boy and do all my PT I should be back on the golf course with a full swing in 4-5 months. Unfortunately climbing up my boat ladder in my drysuit with a Steel 120, 19 pony and 24 lbs of lead may be a thing of the past. Doc says tropical with a single 80AL and 8 lbs........climbing a ladder should be OK once fully recovered. For cold water here in the PACNW, current plan is to use my pot puller davit to remove gear from the water then just climb the dive ladder. ( see pic of my boat for davit set-up).
  • A fully adjustable recliner was my best option for any level of comport....including sleeping.
  • I stayed on the Oxy all day Thursday and most of Friday. 10mg every 4 hours. On Friday evening at 6 I backed off to 5mg then took one more 5mg at midnight and that was it for the Oxy. Since Sat morning, just two Aleve per day is working for me. Just low level pain but for me better than the Oxy.
  • Maybe TMI.........but If you are on the Oxy or any opioid...... plan ahead and get some stool softener or laxative into your system. It'll pay off in the "end"..
  • Once back home, the main game changer for comfort for me was a Cryo Ice Machine that a friend lent me. This is MUST! Instructions say to fill with ice and water......but I found that it lasts a lot longer between resets if filled with frozen water bottles and water. TOTALLY helps with swelling and pain relief.
  • Have some comfy button up shirts or pajamas available. Pullover shirts just don't work.
  • I am a consultant so my work is primarily typing or talking. I was back to work on Monday and able to type on my desktop keyboard even while in the sling. YMMV.
  • Last but not least...... for all of your friends and coworkers who all want to text or email you the day after surgery, even though you already told them that you needed to be left alone for a few days.......have a one click picture you can use as a reply to let them know how you are feeling!
That's it for now!

kaz0Fo3.jpg

AT2zeW4.png

Now 6 weeks into the recovery.... Lots of self performed PT and getting more range of motion every day. Just had a post-op appt with x-rays to confirm that the new hardware is in place and that the bone grafting is going well. Doc says I'm ahead of the game and should be cleared for full diving and golfing activities in 8 more weeks!!!

PS......... Here's a pic of the new hardware installed. Get your new I-Shoulder 15 Pro............with Titanium!!! Only $80K and no contract! Thank God for Medicare!!!

PSPS...... I wonder if I'll be able to take a lb or 2 of lead off my dive rig!!! :cool:

Sn5xBM1.jpg

A fully adjustable recliner was my best option for any level of comport....including sleeping.
Doc said I had to sleep sitting up for 6 weeks.
Maybe TMI.........but If you are on the Oxy or any opioid...... plan ahead and get some stool softener or laxative into your system. It'll pay off in the "end"..
Great advice. I was told Colace, to make me "light and fluffy"....
Once back home, the main game changer for comfort for me was a Cryo Ice Machine that a friend lent me. This is MUST! Instructions say to fill with ice and water......but I found that it lasts a lot longer between resets if filled with frozen water bottles and water. TOTALLY helps with swelling and pain relief.
Absolutely. Worth every penny. I used for shoulder, wife use for knee, friends keep borrowing it.

Glad to know it is going well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom