Quick disconnect on at least one shoulder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry about the vagueness, protecting the privacy of others...

yes, QR is not dir, and don't tec, solo...

wouldn't have been able to cut myself out as i was being thrown around too much...

was just trying to get some feedback.

thanks.

We understand that you are wanting feedback, but you are posting a question that that is known not to be DIR in anyway in a DIR forum. Perhaps it would have been better to post in a different forum, such as directly under the Technical Diving Forum or Hog Forum?

Can this thread be moved?

If I was getting thrown around (say in surf) that would be the last time I would ever want my gear coming lose because of a faulty quick release.

I can imagine a worse feeling then being tumbled in surf and suddly feeling ones tanks sliding away along with the regulators.

yah, from experience, I definitely want to have a working reg in my mouth at this point!

I will also state that the time I got rolled in the surf (the wave made me do a superman impression up the beach) about half my gear was non-functional afterwards. (the knife wasnt deployable and the inflator hose would stick open.

I will also state that the time I got rolled in the surf (the wave made me do a superman impression up the beach) about half my gear was non-functional afterwards. (the knife wasnt deployable and the inflator hose would stick open.

Yup -- been there (recently too). Have to soak everything for a really long time to try to get the sand and other junk out or it all "sticks on" the next time you go diving ...

Now that it has been moved to the hogarthian forum, it probably needs to be mentioned that a QR is not consistent with Hog philosophy and this was probably not the ideal forum to place the question in.

That said, common sense needs to be used with any thing you have or add to your configuration. If you have a reason for a quick release, a quick release can make sense. The advantages are being able to get out of a harness much easier, and in the case of most copmmercially available QR harnesses, they also have pivot rings and a chest strap, all of which can result in a more readily adjustable fit. Along that same line, the ability to have a very snug harness is improved by having a QR that allows it to still be very easy to get out of.

I used to dive primarily in very cold water, often ice diving, with doubles, heavy underwear and dry gloves with bulky rings. After a long dive in cold water exiting into far colder air temps, the quick release was often welcomed as it made it much easier to quickly get out of the harness either on the boat or, if ice diving, while still in the hole.

A week later, the diving may have been in a 3mm shorty in warm water and the easy adjustability of pivot ring harness with a chest strap was also welcome.

What was not common was carrying both 80 and 40 cu ft stage and deco bottles at the same time or making long walks to and from a dive site over rough terrain. So in effect the QR was more than strong enough for the demands of the dive and had basically no downside. That may not be the case in some situations where a QR may pose potential disadvantages or risks that outweigh whatever it brings to the dive, and when that occurs it is a liability, not an asset adn needs to be left off.

In my opinion, most QR harnesses also have the QR in a bad location on the left shoulder strap where it has to support the weight of the deco/stage bottles and where it competes for space with the shoulder D-ring often resulting in less than optimum D-ring placement.

In my perfect world it would be located well below the d-ring where it does not interfere with the D-ring placement and where it is also not stressed by any load carried on the shoulder D-ring. About half way between the shoulder d-ring and the plate would be about right. If I ever move back to an area with extensive severely cold water diving and ice diving, I'll most likely sew my own harness with a QR in that location.

Ah....I think I understand :(

If this was say, a shore entry/exit at a beach with a very steep slope, strong waves and high swell, there are TONS of experienced divers who would not even consider going in with doubles in the first place.

That being said, as to the conditions one is likely to encounter in that situation, I have no idea how much of a "failure point" issue a plastic QR buckle would be with doubles, but I agree that 1) there is no way you could work a knife or shears in that kind of turbulence, and 2) it is VERY likely that your buddy(ies) would not be in a very good position to help if they were dealing with the same conditions.

Beyond the obvious question of whether the conditions initially merited a decision to attempt a dive there, once everything was already SNAFU'd, I'd say being able to get out of the gear could have been VERY helpful at that point.

THANKS!

why did everyone have to make that SO difficult.

i think you DO understand!

--c

Ah....I think I understand :(

If this was say, a shore entry/exit at a beach with a very steep slope, strong waves and high swell, there are TONS of experienced divers who would not even consider going in with doubles in the first place.

That being said, as to the conditions one is likely to encounter in that situation, I have no idea how much of a "failure point" issue a plastic QR buckle would be with doubles, but I agree that 1) there is no way you could work a knife or shears in that kind of turbulence, and 2) it is VERY likely that your buddy(ies) would not be in a very good position to help if they were dealing with the same conditions.

Beyond the obvious question of whether the conditions initially merited a decision to attempt a dive there, once everything was already SNAFU'd, I'd say being able to get out of the gear could have been VERY helpful at that point.

In my opinion, most QR harnesses also have the QR in a bad location on the left shoulder strap where it has to support the weight of the deco/stage bottles and where it competes for space with the shoulder D-ring often resulting in less than optimum D-ring placement.

In my perfect world it would be located well below the d-ring where it does not interfere with the D-ring placement and where it is also not stressed by any load carried on the shoulder D-ring. About half way between the shoulder d-ring and the plate would be about right. If I ever move back to an area with extensive severely cold water diving and ice diving, I'll most likely sew my own harness with a QR in that location.

Stainless steel QR are available and can easily support ANY weight a diver would be tempted to carry..

Another option I have seen is to add a few inches of extra webbing on the side you want to get out of quick, and add a standard steel belt buckle to cinch it tight. To get out quick, release the buckle for that extra slack. This maintains the continuous webbing, and if the buckle should fail, adds slack without the harness coming free.

THANKS!

why did everyone have to make that SO difficult.

i think you DO understand!

--c
Because you were vague and posted it in the DIR forum initially. QR's aren't DIR. You were rolling around and your buddy had to get you out of your gear. Not many DIR divers see that as a scenario they'd be involved in.

But, if on the off chance that it could happen, we don't see a reason to have a piece of equipment with lots of other failure options for one, pretty remote possibility.

That's not so difficult.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom