Quick disconnect on at least one shoulder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option I have seen is to add a few inches of extra webbing on the side you want to get out of quick, and add a standard steel belt buckle to cinch it tight. To get out quick, release the buckle for that extra slack. This maintains the continuous webbing, and if the buckle should fail, adds slack without the harness coming free.

Since we are out of the DIR realm, why not just use a standard harness buckle? I myself don't see the need, but I'm just thinking outside my box for those of you who do :)

Chris

so... if i had quick releases, would it have made a difference? could i have gotten out myself? how much of a failure point would you trade for being able to self-rescue...?

Assuming that you had quick releases in your harness, I do not think that it would make a difference.

Having been tumbled with scuba gear on and without, I strongly prefer to have scuba gear. Having air when being tossed around is much less stressful than being without. While the gear is cumbersome and heavy, at least you have a reliable source of air.

But let's say you were able to get out of your gear, you're still being tumbled around in the rough surf. Now you have 100#s of metal being tumbled with you. Having surfboards and fellow divers hit me in the surf zone, this really sucks and is incredibly dangerous. Again, I'd prefer to have my gear on my back, and not flying at me.

Okay, so now you have your gear, but your being tumbled. You can't stand up since the gear is too heavy, the sand is too deep, and the waves are too rough. You either 1) have a buddy pull you out of the surf zone, 2) let the waves throw you on the beach, or 3) let the undertow bring you to sea. Out of the surf zone, a QR will help in getting out of gear faster. But you're out of immediate danger, and at this point you can regroup a little and can either use a cutting device or get out the normal way.

Boy, I hadn't thought about getting hit with loose equipment in the surf -- Ugh!

My experiences with being rolled in surf were that it was immensely comforting to have a regulator in my mouth, and know that, no matter what was going on, I had something to breathe. I'll trade away the increased ease of getting out for the security of breathing.

The rigs I dive in our local aquarium have to be adjustable to oodles of different shapes and sizes. We use the old style plastic stab "backplates" with a wing.

The plastic plates allow the webbing to slide freely at the hips so you can pull the waist and it thereby tightens the shoulders. On the right shoulder they have a (plastic, ugh) buckle to make further adjustments. I often use the buckle to let me out of the system which also has alot of other do-dads (FFM, comm wire, and hooka air line).

I would not consider using a buckle on my personal gear. Having all the adjustments actually stay the same is plus for me. Also its just not necessary and losing my tanks is a baaadd option in alot of my diving.

When I was taught DIR, it was initially explained that your webbing should be adjusted so that you could lift your hand and slide it through. No need for QR...I have to admit this is easier said than done but the instructor did demonstrate it nicely. Definetly will take some work though and it was easier in Cozumel w a thin suit than at home w a dry suit. I have been thrown around with some powerful surges.

Quick releases are not Hogarthian. Rig and carry only what the mission requires.

Dale

The rigs I dive in our local aquarium have to be adjustable to oodles of different shapes and sizes. We use the old style plastic stab "backplates" with a wing.

The plastic plates allow the webbing to slide freely at the hips so you can pull the waist and it thereby tightens the shoulders. On the right shoulder they have a (plastic, ugh) buckle to make further adjustments. I often use the buckle to let me out of the system which also has alot of other do-dads (FFM, comm wire, and hooka air line).

I would not consider using a buckle on my personal gear. Having all the adjustments actually stay the same is plus for me. Also its just not necessary and losing my tanks is a baaadd option in alot of my diving.

I modified my backplate so the belt slides, as described, at the waist. I unbuckle the waist, pull on the shoulder straps, they slide about 4 inches larger on each side and I am out. It really helps me to get in and out of the rig on the boat. Is a belt that slides taboo, also? I have no buckle on the shoulder.

Another option I have seen is to add a few inches of extra webbing on the side you want to get out of quick, and add a standard steel belt buckle to cinch it tight. To get out quick, release the buckle for that extra slack. This maintains the continuous webbing, and if the buckle should fail, adds slack without the harness coming free.

Bingo. Some people do have shoulder mobility problems. This works.

You can add a QR and keep webbing in a single piece. So even if the QR breaks ( which I have never seen) the webbing stays in place.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom