Questions on ScubaPro Jetfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK gang. I won the eBay auction for a 12 yr old pair for cheap. They should be coming in next week. I hope to try them out in the quarry the weekend after I get them.

I know this may be hard to answer, but Im keeping my eye open for used Jets myself. I wear a 9.5 shoe, and my drysuit has attached boots, which seem pretty thick to me (its my first DS though, so maybe its just me).

Would that most likely relate to a size Large jetfin?

I wear the same size shoe and with my boots on, non dry suit ones, it's a bit tight with a large in Jetfins. With my F1's an XL fits perfect and I believe I have enough room for dry suit boots as well. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is in size when jets vs F1's, but I'd say try out a large. Better yet, hit the LDS if you have one close and try them on with your boots on.

I have noticed that SubaPro Jet fins seems to be the “end-all” fin for a lot of divers, and I have seen them used a lot when I dive with older, experienced divers. I have 16 dives under my belt and I am interested in snagging a pair. I am a competitive swimmer, so I think I do have the leg strength for these fins. I wear a size 10.5 shoe so I think I would be looking at a XL (with wetsuit diving boots)? Are there places that sell them with spring straps already installed or does this only happen on used pairs on eBay?
My favorite fins for have typically been the big bladed DiveR freedive fins http://www.diveraustralia.com.au/equipment.php( carbon fiber hybrids)....I also have Scubapro Jet fins and Hollis F1's for exploration level penetration dives, where you can't have a long blade that is likely to contact the overhead when you are as close to the bottom as possible without silting.....
I think the Jets just edge out the Hollis for zero forward motion hover control, other than that, both are excellent for this....
Recently I got a pair of Excellerator Force Fins from Bob Evans....and was shocked at how efficent these fins are at both slow cadence and maximum cadence( top speed). These fins also have enough control area on the shape of the fins, to allow good/precise hovering, though they are different in how you control them than the Jets or Hollis fins...and different for reverse kick also..though they are in fact, very easy to reverse kick with.

What is significant for an athlete --assuming the OP is a competitive swimmer, is that the Jets or Hollis fins have no "gear changing" or different efficiency angles for the situations where you NEED to swim fast. The Dive R freedive fins do, and the Excellerators have their own unique reaction...the faster your cadence, the more effective the water flow over the control surface becomes, and the efficiency actually seems to improve greatly...At slow speeds, they are easy to kick, and at high power output for higher speeds, the Excellerators leverage your quadriceps at a more natural angle --in a way that more people who have exercised, can use the adaptations of training. This is in contrast to jets, and even the big DiveR's, in that your hip muscles will be limiting to a degree, at some point, as will your hamstrings....the Excellerators do feel like they play better to your strengths...My strengths are from Power lifting, shifted to competitive cycling over 20 years ago...with track sprinter and time trialer legs.
If you know someone that will let you try a pair of each of the fins discussed so far, that is the best way to handle this....no one should be forced to buy fins without a demo possible... In snow skiing, you can always demo gear...It is retarded that the dive industry has not gotten this, and you are frorced to "take someone's word", a person with no real clue to what would really be best for you.

As well, the stiffness thing is way over stated, I do not find Jets to be stiff at all.

When I first got my Jets, I thought some Mafia goons had encased my feet in concrete blocks.

Yesterday, I used Jets again for the first time since I bought my Dive Rite fins, I think a year ago last December. I was amazed at how floppy they felt!

Jetfins came in today! They are not stiff boards like I was led to believe, maybe because they were 12 years old! The one thing that I don't like about them off the bat is the old school strap adjustment. I was straining to push the buckle onto the buckle holder! The XL's fit my 10.5 feet with 6.5 mm booties on just right. I can't wait to try them out!

Jetfins came in today! They are not stiff boards like I was led to believe, maybe because they were 12 years old! The one thing that I don't like about them off the bat is the old school strap adjustment. I was straining to push the buckle onto the buckle holder! The XL's fit my 10.5 feet with 6.5 mm booties on just right. I can't wait to try them out!

Now all you need are some spring straps.They are much better than the rubber ones.

EZ Spring Grip-Tight Fin Strap, Black

Good find, not too terribly expensive. I see that a Size "M" will fit my feet/fins from a user review. Maybe later, this has been a spendy week for me...

Buy one size smaller than your fins. I wear size 11 shoes and wear XL Jets. The Large springstrap fits perfectly. M might be to small.

Good news! I was able to try out the jetfins in my local quarry last weekend (and propose to the gf!) and I love the fins! It is amazing how much power they have. I was blowing past my gf without even trying and I did not feel tired or cramp up. The spring straps are definitely my next gear upgrade. From previous comments here, size 10.5 shoe, with XL jetfins = size L spring straps?

Sadly, most divers will never know the joy of a great set of fins.

Back
Top Bottom