Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some in our group have voiced concerns ....

Don and CajunDiva are telling you (in a longer way) to chill out and relax.

You are going to an experienced resort with a well regarded dive op. The DM's cater to divers and groups from all over. No surprises, no bad juju, nothing to fret over.

Between now and your trip, likely your fellow travelers will have 176 more questions. I can assure you- the more you get answered for them, the more questions that they will generate.

In example- to call Mary's Place "constrictive" would be kind-of a mislabeling. As Don says, you can easily float over the 1% that would be snug. The dive operations are prohibited from taking you there on Day One, they have to examine your buoyancy skills first.,

Calvin's Crack? Most people prefer it over Mary's Place. For the vast majority of divers, it is a delightful no-brainer.

ScubaBoard members are always here to field those questions, but if you want to start to fit in with the way it will be when you arrive in paradise, start by trying to respond with a smile.... and "No problem".

It will all be just fine... once you get there!

Last edited:
We have heard nothing but good things about Roatan and especially the dive shop and crew at Fantasy Island.....if we had any real convictions we would not be spending the $$$ to go. Don't take our questions as being hyper-critical. We are very excited about going here in a few weeks. This is new to us and we would like to be as much on top of things as we can so we know what to expect. Additionally, we are traveling with our wives who turn to us for answers. We would like to have them as much as we can so they don't have anxiety.

Everybody has been great with information on the forum - this has fueled our enthusiasm. We are not new to exotic dive vacations and have experienced Mexico, Coz, Bonaire, and the Bahammas. Each location is different and different ways of doing things. The information that those of you that have experienced Roatan have provided has been great. This thread, "Questions about Fantasy Island" has gotten a tremendous amount of responses and views because there have been good questions and awesome answers. There are many of us out there that have not been there...Thanks for sharing your experience and again please do not think we are being critical. Yes, we need to relax and simply enjoy the trip, but being somewhat prepared for how things works will only ensure a great trip.

Snagel

Some in our group have voiced concerns about dive sites such as Calvins crack and Marys place

Steve: Ditto Roatanman-The swimthru's are not that confining and there is no overhead obstruction to the surface.

are there other sites to be aware of?

There is a really nice Chimney at Doc's Dive which you can swim up and this some in your group if they are concerned about Mary's Place & Calvin's Crack swimthru may not want to go into.

However as RM said, the DM will give you a breifing before the dive, at the site, and if anyone doesn't care to go into any area, they are advise to just swim over the top and wait for the ones who are swimming thru. No one is made to try anything they are not comfortable with.

Steve, Mary's place (and Calvin's crack I believe also) definetly are a bit tight. But anyone with good buoyancy can easily make it through without a problem. If they are very claustrophopic, that's another story; I'm not sure I would go through. But as a reference, I am slightly claustrophobic (VERY tight spaces get to me, but I can control it...) and Mary's place didn't affect me at all...

Now for the Good news...

One of the best kept secrets is that the wall and shallow reef at Mary's place is one of the nicest on the South side of the island! Nobody knows it because they all do the swim through. If anybody in your party has any concerns about the swim through, they will have a great time on the above reef!!!! If I ever go back, I don't think I'll be doing the swim through but rather spend time seahorse hunting on the top shallow part. So if your group decides to sit out the swim through, it's still an awesome dive!

Cheers!:coffee:

Some in our group have voiced concerns about dive sites such as Calvins crack and Marys place. In the videos we have seen, they seem to be very narrow and confining. Is this the case with these dive sites, and are there other sites to be aware of?

Steve, Mary's place (and Calvin's crack I believe also) definetly are a bit tight. But anyone with good buoyancy can easily make it through without a problem.

When saying buoyancy skills I think specifically you would want to remember that the swim ascends slightly and you want to let air out as you go through. The depth change isn't obvious and my wife got light. It was a little embarrassing to pull her off the ceiling. There is a cluster of very rare mushrooms at the exit to one of them, can't remember which.

Some in our group have voiced concerns about dive sites such as Calvins crack and Marys place. In the videos we have seen, they seem to be very narrow and confining. Is this the case with these dive sites, and are there other sites to be aware of?

Steve -

I am having so much fun answering your questions, because it's like deja vu...these are some of the same questions I had before going to Fantasy Island for the first time :D

As RoatanMan said, just relax and get ready to have a great time! I too was nervous about those two dives the first time. I am very claustrophobic and didn't want to be closed in. But I had no problem with Mary's Place or Calvin's Crack, which is my all time favorite dive site. Just tell anybody who might be a little nervous to be sure and bring it to the divemaster's attention and he will give them instructions on what to do if they decide not to go through. Either site has alternatives and you don't HAVE to go through the more confined spaces. Just approach the situation with an open mind and then once you guys get down there and see what it's like everybody can make their own decision about their dive profiles for these sites.

You're gonna love Roatan :wink:

First time I went, I just went to learn - but I did not have a wife to consider. I'm sure that is different.

I do recommend the unlimited Nitrox option and/or Work at hydration. It's warm there, you'll sweat more than you are used to, and it's important to stay hydrated. I hang a thermometer at the dive shop every trip, but I bet they take it down so the tourists won't know. :D

Everyone has minimum of DAN Dive Insurance middle plan right, not the cheapest - which is a dog and only $10 cheaper than middle, altho I have the top.

I always do trip insurance from TravelSafe.com mostly to cover out of network medical insurance and other possible risks. DAN membership, not dive insurance, has Travel Assist, but I like all three.

Let me say that we are “chilled, relaxed, and comfortable”, and we like discussing diving. I plan to keep on asking questions about Roatan as long as there are people that want to answer them. If each answer prompts 2 more questions, than I guess we will be here for a long time :D

Let me say that we are “chilled, relaxed, and comfortable”, and we like discussing diving. I plan to keep on asking questions about Roatan as long as there are people that want to answer them. If each answer prompts 2 more questions, than I guess we will be here for a long time :D

Great Attitude---and as long as you keep asking, We'll keep doing our best to answer:popcorn:

Steve, this might become a long process. My dad was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer today and all I'm doing lately is hanging with him in his hospital room all day or all night. The hospital has wi-fi, so I'm good to go with any questions you might come up with. In fact, they are quite a welcome distraction :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom