Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the great info. Should I bring down raincoats for October ?Anybody going down on the 9th of October ?
Thom
I frequently take a waterproof jacket in case of a post dive chill, rain, etc - or last February in case I got stuck in Houston during a rare cold spell, but actually used it only on Roatan one day. Strap on to your roll-on, just in case you want one.

Or, get a clean garbage bag from housekeeping and cut head & arm holes. :cool:

So are you saying that your check out dive is not right after the orientation? Is it the first boat dive the next day, or a shore dive?

Snag, when I was there the orientation is 1- a speach about this and that and safe diving practices, 2- quick check on your C-cards, 3- get your weights for the week... The the first dive of the week is your check-out dive. basically an easy guided dive, where the DM checks you out quickly to see how you are.

Others can chime in if it has changed, but that's how is was when we were there...

So are you saying that your check out dive is not right after the orientation? Is it the first boat dive the next day, or a shore dive?
Orientation on arrival Saturday, start diving Sunday morning is how I've always done it. If you just have to get wet Saturday, there is some decent snorkeling. Watch out for boat traffic.

Orientation was the morning after arrival, about 1 hour before the 1st boat dive of the day. Check out is a boat dive.

Orientation was the morning after arrival, about 1 hour before the 1st boat dive of the day. Check out is a boat dive.
You know, now that you mention it, I think ours was the next morning last trip. So much for my memory. We still got in 3 nice dives that day.

Is this a quick get in the boat and they drop you off close to shore for the orientation dive or do they take you out further? Reason I'm asking is my wife does not do boats. She wants to just do shore diving. If getting into a boat and going out is the first thing she has to do, it's going to be a rough start to the trip. She has told me over and over she isn't doing any boat dives. I need to prepare her a little if she is going to have to get in a boat for the orientation dive.

Snagel

Snaggy, the 1st boat dive (checkout dive) isn't right next to the dive shop. But usually, they don't stary too far: maybe 5 minute ride! So they do take you out to a nice reef, but it,s very close to the shop and your wife will be back at the resort in no time (they return to dock between each dive!!!). That's pretty much the case for all the boat dives! They are pretty much all less than 10 minutes of boating away from the resort! You have just enough time to suit up before you get there. Also, if it is any concern to your wife, all the dive sites are very very close to shore along the south side of Roatan! In general, it would be fairly easy to swim to shore if something happened... She won't be in the middle of the Ocean... That, and the boats are pretty spacious. If you are less than 12 people on the boat (we were when I went), you get plenty of room to spread out and are not crowded at all. I don't know if this helps, but if it can comfort her, definetly try to get her onto thew boat dives. The coral is much much nicer than the shore (PA and DC3) dive.

Hope this helps.:coffee:

Is this a quick get in the boat and they drop you off close to shore for the orientation dive or do they take you out further? Reason I'm asking is my wife does not do boats. She wants to just do shore diving. If getting into a boat and going out is the first thing she has to do, it's going to be a rough start to the trip. She has told me over and over she isn't doing any boat dives. I need to prepare her a little if she is going to have to get in a boat for the orientation dive.

Snagel

Snagel

Snagel -

Your wife really has nothing to worry about. The staff will do whatever it takes to accomodate her. Just go to the orientation and afterwards talk to the staff and explain your needs. They will be happy to instruct you on what steps to take to get her shore diving right away.

As far as the first dive, it is done at a nearby site and gives the divers an opportunity to make sure they are properly weighted and comfortable, as well as giving the divemaster the opportunity to check out the divers and see what to watch for...it's really just a normal boat dive with a little extra attention :D

Last edited:
Some in our group have voiced concerns about dive sites such as Calvins crack and Marys place. In the videos we have seen, they seem to be very narrow and confining. Is this the case with these dive sites, and are there other sites to be aware of?

Some in our group have voiced concerns about dive sites such as Calvins crack and Marys place. In the videos we have seen, they seem to be very narrow and confining. Is this the case with these dive sites, and are there other sites to be aware of?
I don't think you need to be concerned. They won't take you there for a few days, and if anyone doesn't want to do the narrows, they can go over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom