Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Herb and CD. That was one hellova deal for that price. To bad I bumped into this thread to late. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for other deals like that in the future.:cool2:

Good luck :blessing: But don't hold your breath...I doubt if you'll see anything like this again. But we can always hope :signofcross:

$700/week AI including booze is a great price. $500/week was amazing; I wouldn't try to hold out of it again if you want to dive Roatan.

$700/week AI including booze is a great price. $500/week was amazing; I wouldn't try to hold out of it again if you want to dive Roatan.

I always feel a little bad about beating someone just for a good price. They need to stay viable.

I always feel a little bad about beating someone just for a good price. They need to stay viable.
Did I sound like I was beating someone? :blush: Sorry. My dry way of talking really.

What is the norm for tipping at FI? Is this something that is expected daily or at the end of the week? Not to get into a debate about tipping, but I think people should tip based on the service not the expectation. I will offer a tip over and above to a crew that does a great job for me and little less for the so-so attempts, but I never will offer nothing. What is the average tip at FI?

Snagel

What is the norm for tipping at FI? Is this something that is expected daily or at the end of the week? Not to get into a debate about tipping, but I think people should tip based on the service not the expectation. I will offer a tip over and above to a crew that does a great job for me and little less for the so-so attempts, but I never will offer nothing. What is the average tip at FI?

Snagel

I am SO GLAD you asked! Would you believe that there are actually people who dive with the same divemaster and boat captain for an entire week and then give them nothing??? This is the issue that bothers me the MOST about resort diving. I'm with you Snagel...I believe in tipping above and beyond for someone who does a great job and cares about what they are doing. Those who just show up won't do nearly as well, but they will still get something.

What I usually recommend to people visiting Fantasy Island is a MINIMUM of $5 per day to the divemaster AND the boat captain...that's for each diver, so if you're a couple then double it. But I don't think the minimum is good enough. My minimum is $50 bucks to the divemaster and $50 bucks to the boat captain for the week. If they do a great job their tip will be better :wink:

As far as when to tip, if you are assigned to the same boat all week long, it makes sense to tip at the end of the week. But if you dive on a different boat for any reason (like to visit a dive site you want to see) then you would want to tip them separately, probably on that day.

Just my two cents worth :D

That being said, don't forget that there are other awesome resort workers who deserve tips as well. For example: servers in the restaurant, cleaning ladies in the rooms, bartenders, bus drivers, cooks, etc. I usually bring a bunch of $1 dollar bills with us and distribute them as needed. Trust me...they are appreciated :D

The first time I went to FI, I was new, under tipped the boat crew, and really felt bad. I was so happy to see the guys still there years later. I went to each, said "You probably don't remember me, but I owe you money," and laid a $20 on each. I might have bumped that but anyway, I felt better and they seemed to appreciate it.

Today, $50 each for boat crew sounds like a good minimum - maybe in $10 & $20 as a $50 might be inconvenient to them; hell, maybe I should have tipped more this year? A couple of the dock guys helped me with gear work I didn't want to attempt and I gave them $10s.
...servers in the restaurant, cleaning ladies in the rooms, bartenders, bus drivers, cooks, etc. I usually bring a bunch of $1 dollar bills with us and distribute them as needed.
Someone in group said to tip the servers at the end of the week, but they varied a lot; I'd tip at each meal, each day for the room maid, etc. I kinda like using $2 bills at times, but I wonder if they have a problem with those so far from the US? Maybe not as 2s are common bills in most currencies, the US the only one with a superstition - that I now of. $5 work well in the appropriate places. :eyebrow:

Today, $50 each for boat crew sounds like a good minimum - maybe in $10 & $20 as a $50 might be inconvenient to them

I kinda like using $2 bills at times, but I wonder if they have a problem with those so far from the US?

Both "two's" and "fifties" are a bit unusual outside the US, but trust me, they can figure out what to do with them.

It is easier for them to spend ones, fives, tens, twenties, although they will also figure out how to unload a hundred if you give them one.

Just make sure of one very important thing: Do not bring any ripped, torn, patched or roughed-up currency. Even if you and I know that scraggly hundred is legit, they will have a really hard time passing it.

Merchants outside the US are very suspicious of "outside" currency, and as US Dollars are almost universally accepted, that's the one that gets counterfeited the most often. They are kinda' jumpy about our green... even in Honduras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom