Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading throught some other threads, some have reported problems with TSA carrying on regs, computers, and dive lights in carry-on luggage. Anybody have this issue traveling to/from Roatan?

Snagel
Well, you never want to leave batteries in a dive light for carry-on or checked luggage, and TSA has some other rules about batteries you need to read - particularly with lithium batteries, but usually they just look at the X-ray screen, I say "scuba gear," and they nod. A couple of times I've left a pocket knife in my backpack which lead to additional searches, but they never found them. :eek: Feel safe now?

Hehe, I carry my blue Sealife (camera) moisture munchers in a double ziplock inside a cup or two of Damprid which keeps them dehydrated and recharges them. They have pulled that out of checked luggage at times to ask me; I try to stay handy in case at small airports. Last trip the Amarillo agent had a Cat Scan and he just looked at the screen.

The problems seem worse leaving Caribbean countries, where agents are supposed to screen by TSA standards but are not TSA trained or controlled. They do what they want to at times, keep what they want to take home. I think the TSA site says to keep batteries in carry-on for easier review and cabin crew control :confused: and I do going, but returning I put them in checked bags - less likely to be stolen.

The only thing I've actually lost to TSA luggage screening was a bottle of liquid shoe dressing I was bringing back from NC for a Marine reservist. Returning, I've lost a few nail clippers in 2001 and more recently some lighters. If they don't steal something, they don't feel fulfilled. :eyebrow:

You OK Buddy :confused:

I like strong latin american coffee. By the way, I never had any problem with the cream or any food on, Roatan or Utila for that matter. The only thing that has caused me repeat misery outside of the USA is raw fish, except in Japan, where apparently they know what they are doing.

Lots of my meals came from food stands in West End. Very cheap, and never a problem. The only food that I can remember about FI that I did not like were the hamburgers. They had a lot of filler in them and way too much black pepper. Perhaps that has been fixed by now.

Will y'all be there in February...???

Looks like your timing is good...the weather should be settled down by then :D

CODMAN, I understand your comments about profit, but it's not always that simple. There are many other factors to consider. I have not heard anything about what plans Fantasy Island has for the resort with the new management taking over, but it occurs to me that if they want to be successful over the long term, they need to get people down there and show them that they are serious about the product they are providing.

Occupancy has been down for the past year and a half due to problems in Honduras, so the resort has not been near capacity for a while. Maybe they want to get their "new" program off on the right foot by introducing as many people as possible to the resort so they will come back in the future. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, so the reduced rates are a great way of advertising the resort :D

Following up on this speculation...I wonder what kind of response Fantasy Island is getting from this promotion and if it was worth their while.

Mr. Fantasy Island Resort, I know it's really none of my business, but do you feel like commenting?

Great thread, thanks for the input on FI everyone.

We have never been there and my better half is jones'n to dive someplace nice. Whats the deal with the $499 per week, room only or does that include dives? Do I need a promo code to get the special? Are there specific dates you have to abide by?

TIA:D

The price was all inclusive with diving, but I think it has expired. It was for travel before mid December.

Great thread, thanks for the input on FI everyone.

We have never been there and my better half is jones'n to dive someplace nice. Whats the deal with the $499 per week, room only or does that include dives? Do I need a promo code to get the special? Are there specific dates you have to abide by?

TIA:D

Randy -

The $ 499 special had to be booked by the end of August, but you can still get a good rate of $ 699 per person double occupancy through Dec. 19th. That is ALL-INCLUSIVE including food, drinks (including domestic alcohol) lodging, diving, airport transfers, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom