Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CajunDiva, sorry to hear about your father. We went through this several years back. My father had a tumor near his pancreas and my father-in-law the following year had lung cancer. Sucks going through this for everybody.

Back to some questions.......

I understand there is danger and threats everywhere. How secure is Fantasy Island and Roatan? If you pull up the security alerts for Roatan it talks about fake police stops, muggings, and drug issues. I'm sure you will have similar type of things said about just about anyplace including here in the US. Is there anything we should be hyper aware of outside of normal common sense?

What about security in the rooms? I believe that there is no safes in the rooms for valuables. Does the front desk have this? Would you recommend putting valuables - passports, tickets, money in the front desk safe (if this is available) rather than in the rooms?

Snagel

CajunDiva, sorry to hear about your father. We went through this several years back. My father had a tumor near his pancreas and my father-in-law the following year had lung cancer. Sucks going through this for everybody.

Back to some questions.......

I understand there is danger and threats everywhere. How secure is Fantasy Island and Roatan? If you pull up the security alerts for Roatan it talks about fake police stops, muggings, and drug issues. I'm sure you will have similar type of things said about just about anyplace including here in the US. Is there anything we should be hyper aware of outside of normal common sense?

What about security in the rooms? I believe that there is no safes in the rooms for valuables. Does the front desk have this? Would you recommend putting valuables - passports, tickets, money in the front desk safe (if this is available) rather than in the rooms?

Snagel

Hi Snagel -

Thanks for the kind comments about my dad. You're right...it's no fun watching him going through this. We are praying for a quick and merciful end.

You don't need to worry about the security on the island. Stories about drug wars have been blown way out of proportion. That was a one time thing that happened and is not a common event on Roatan. There were also political issues last year, but there was never a problem on the island. We made it a point to go down there four times last year because tourism dropped off tremendously and we wanted to do our best to support and encourage them. As far a muggings, etc. - although I have no personal knowledge of that kind of stuff going on in Roatan, I think that is the kind of petty bull**** you will find at any tourist destination. You just have to be practical and pay attention to what's going on around you.

Regarding Fantasy Island, the place is its own island...you can only access it by crossing a bridge - and there is a guard shack at the bridge. They only let people who belong there across it. So you don't have to worry about security in that regard. As far as the rooms, we have NEVER had a problem. The cleaning ladies are the sweetest people and we make sure to leave them a tip on the pillow each morning. They do have safes at the front that you can rent for a nominal fee...I can't remember exactly how much it is, but it's not much. We always put our passports and cash in a safe because there is no need to take unnecessary risks.

I don't think there is a charge for the lock boxes at the front desk. That's where I stuck my passport and the bulk of my emergency funds. I wondered if I was just making it easier for a rogue thief to find my stash, but I've never heard of any problems. Don't lose the key!!

It's good to make copies of your passport for any international trip, a copy of your DAN card for your trip leader, etc.

I don't think there is a charge for the lock boxes at the front desk. That's where I stuck my passport and the bulk of my emergency funds. I wondered if I was just making it easier for a rogue thief to find my stash, but I've never heard of any problems. Don't lose the key!!

It's good to make copies of your passport for any international trip, a copy of your DAN card for your trip leader, etc.

We also pick up most everything in our room each morning and zip up the bags. It makes it easier for everyone.

Yes, there is a nominal fee. I can't remember exactly, but I think it is $ 1.50 per day.

We were there in June. We used the safety deposit box which required either a ten or twenty dollar deposit. When you return the key they give you your money back. We kept our passport and cash in it with only leaving a little cash in the room for tips etc.
We had no problem and it is easy to get in and out of safety deposit box. They have a key to the door right there and you just go in when you want.
Have a great time and don't worry. We have never had any problems in Roatan...
Lynn

How is the current? Are the boat dives usually drift dives?
I don't remember a noticeable current. My trips in 2001 and around 2004 the boats moored and we swam one way until someone hit 1500#, then we all turned - but that puts the group turning on the worst airhog. :blush: We did live boat dives this year; liked that better.

Some in our group have voiced concerns about dive sites such as Calvins crack and Marys place. In the videos we have seen, they seem to be very narrow and confining. Is this the case with these dive sites, and are there other sites to be aware of?

Here are great representative videos, maybe not the best in terms of color and video technique, of these dive sites.

Calvin's Crack is about 35 minutes East of the resort in an FIBR Boat.

The initial entry is wide, but not very high... so if you hug the belly side, you'll have 8-12" clearance above. A lot of divers manage to prang their tank valves nevertheless.

You enter it through this crack on the top of a flat reef structure in about 32fsw.

Most divers fly through it at a frantic rate (same if not more-so for Mary's Place)

It is, undeniably spacious at about 22' width average. It has overhead structure for the first 30', but otherwise, if you absolutely had to, you could ascend out of it at most places. It exits at 70fsw, but you do not have to hug the bottom, you may exit shallower. Whichever depth you exit at, as you "wait" for the group, slowly begin your ascent by turning right (West) and working along the vertical structure.

If you do not like tight areas, avoid the "blind crevice" they should advise you of. It is West of the Calvin Crack exit and most divers do not notice it.

After the tour of the crack, most DM's will show you the resident behemoth of a Toad Fish. He eats cameras but doesn't care for dive watches.

P1011022-1.jpg

Mary's Place is a dive that can be done in many ways. FIBR moors up (it is against the agreement to do it is an un-moored dive) and tells the divers to go seaward (usually along the mooring line) and meet at the edge of the wall before descending to 70'. Also by agreement, this is done with two DM's or dive leaders.

It is here that the smart and prepared diver can make the most of his dive. Either be first and get down to the 70' entrance with the DM, or dawdle while floating at 35' above the mass of divers who are waiting their turn (burning air at 75' while waiting). Just be ready to descend and blend into the waiting line. That DM who is starting the divers in a line has other duties. He will usually swim over the reef and meet you at the exit.

An experienced diver will usually lead the group, at least one who is experienced with Mary's Place. That person will serve as a guide to make sure the column turns left 90° at the right moment (1:41 on the video )and begins the second chasm, slightly ascending.

There is no rule that you must do it at any specific depth, but the entry itself is best at 70' to avoid damaging soft corals. Generally it is about 16' wide.

It is a very rare group of divers who go slowly enough to see the rare critters that inhabit these walls, most see nothing except the chasm and bubbles. If you are closing in on somebody else's flippers, it is you that is going too fast. Most groups go through it in 4 minutes, a better goal is to shoot for 10.

At the end (at 2:54 on the video), there is a very small "swim under" that has been whacked by 65% of the divers who have crawled through it. Contrary to previous advice, in the short time you are in the chasm, there is absolutely no need to adjust buoyancy by purging air. the depth changes are simply not all that extreme, maybe 25' at most, and as I said- your actual dive time is minimal. Go in neutrally buoyant, you'll be just fine.

Again, here is not the fanciest video of Mary's place, but it is the most indicative of the dive:

Still photography is also forbidden by the Preservation Agreement.

This video shows a group of divers with excellent buoyancy, who were all crammed together in a knot.
The video begins at what is the "end" of the dive...
with that swim under as mentioned. Again, you can swim over it.

The most important feature of FIBR is the shore dive. If you aren't making a night dive every night, you have missed the main attraction....

Picture24-1.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom