Question re: Scubastore.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap,

ScubaPro USA's aggressive warranty policies are a desperate measure from a company that's been losing dealers left and right. I've worked for two dive shops and done business with many others who have dumped ScubaPro due to their lack of commitment to dealers. I remember selling ScubaPro when they had the stupid idea of stopping any participation in the Scuba Lab tests printed in Scuba Diving magazine, so they could put more effort and resources towards supporting their dealers, and combatting online sales. We actually saw less dealer support after that move, and oddly Suba.com started selling ScubaPro. That really upset us.
Just look at LeisurePro, now they are AD's for Aeris, Oceanic, Mares, Zeagle etc., companies that "GET IT". Supporting local dealers is important, but penalizing prospective customers for shopping online is ignorance, and will prove to be the downfall of companies like ScubaPro. It's unfortunate, ScubaPro puts out some of the best equipment. Online shopping is here to stay, most people prefer to do so, and like you mention are willing to risk not having a warranty. One thing I just don't get is how some Aqualung dealers refuse to service Aqualung products bought online, even for a fee. For brick and mortar dealers to turn these customers away is no different than ScubaPro's attitude. Scuba customers are precious these days, and online retailers like LeisurePro are winning the market share with good customer service, great prices, huge inventories of brand new products, and lots of convenience.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the Scubapro. com warranty issues.

However, Scubapro.com (Spain) was advertising (as of 2 days ago) the Luna with Transmitter for $888, whereas LeisurePro had it at about $1175 with Transmitter.

Was wondering about the large price differential.

Sy

What makes you think scubastore is not an AD? Copied from the list of authorized dealers on Scubapro.com:
scubastore
poligono industrial depal, nave 10
ulla,
girona
contact@scubastore.com
Scubastore. Online scuba-diving gear and scuba-diving equipment shop.

But I do agree with you on the "worldwide nature of the Scubapro Warranty. This is from the Scubapro Europe website:
Warranty
If your purchase was made in Europe, SCUBAPRO UWATEC complies with all laws governing European product guarantee and warranty, which generally stipulates that all products have an automatic 2-year guarantee with proof of purchase, not limited to the original owner. However, SCUBAPRO regulators and Twin Jet Max fins are covered by the SCUBAPRO Limited Lifetime Warranty and are guaranteed against any and all defects in materials and workmanship in accordance with the conditions fully described in the Conditions of Warranty you received with the regulator at the time of purchase. This warranty is valid only to the original owner and you must have your regulator serviced annually by an Authorised SCUBAPRO Dealer to maintain the lifetime warranty. It is valid through an Authorised SCUBAPRO Dealers worldwide.

And this from the Scubapro Amereicas website:
Warranty
SCUBAPRO warrants to the original consumer purchaser that, for the period of one year from date of purchase, each SCUBAPRO product component not otherwise warranted, and each SCUBAPRO replacement part, purchased from and authorized SCUBAPRO dealer will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and with reasonable maintenance. This warranty does not apply to any product or part used commercially. A list of authorized SCUBAPRO dealers can be obtained online at SCUBAPRO UWATEC | Deep Down You Want The Best - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC.

Note that the different consumer protection laws must result in somewhat different warranties.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the Scubapro. com warranty issues.

However, Scubapro.com (Spain) was advertising (as of 2 days ago) the Luna with Transmitter for $888, whereas LeisurePro had it at about $1175 with Transmitter.

Was wondering about the large price differential.

Sy

A fair bit of the price difference might be due to currency fluctuation (euro vs dollar) and inventory valuation. Depending on when scubastore.com and LeisurePro each bought their respective units that would easily explain that sort of difference.

That said, since you are in central NJ I would suggest giving Wayne or Jason a call over at The Scuba Connection in Hillsborough. Can't guarantee they can/will match your best on-line price, but they will surely do the best they possibly can - and more than make up the pricedifference with the value they provide. (Before/after sale service, in-store pool where you can try before you buy, ensuring you get "what you need" which might be different than "what you think you want", etc) Tell them I sent you - they'll treat you right!

PS - I think they are closed this week for the Holidays, but will open again on Jan 4.

I too am considering a Luna from Scubastore and I am curious if anyone has ever had to send anything back to Scubastore such as a dive computer? Do they stand behind their products even though you night have to ship the item back to them? If so what is the typical wait time on shipping on both ends...when you order and a typical turn around time if you have to ship an item back to them.

I briefly considered getting a Scubapro computer recently and I was seriously considering purchasing from Scubastore due to the price. I have no use for Scubapro USA's policies and would prefer to save money and if I had to send a computer to Spain for service, so be it. Scubastore is an authorized dealer but obviously what they sell has not been imported into the US by Scubapro USA, so you have an international factory warranty, but not a US warranty.

But I then read of one or two people's problems getting decent service service from Scubastore. You should do a search here. I came to my senses (IMHO) and stuck with a brand that doesn't have the issues SP does and has always worked well for me, so I did not have to decide where to buy SP.

I have no idea how the issues with scubastore finally worked out. On the other hand I recall someone who bought SP from Leisure Pro and when they had a problem, seemed to get a good result from LP's warranty.

Good luck with your decision.

ScubaStore has now been forced to remove all Scubapro, Unwatec, Apeks and Aqualung product from their website for American, Australian and New Zealand markets. This means that when you visit their site and have one of these countries selected as your location, you cannot see any products from these companies.

This has happened in the last week or so.

I refuse to purchase these products on the Australian market. At generally more than twice the price listed on Scubastore (converted and including shipping) it makes absolutely no sense. In fact, it is unacceptable and downright offensive.

These companies need some solid competition by companies that can make an equally good product and have a progressive and open business model with truly International support. Only aggressive competition will force these companies to adopt innovative business models and pull their heads out of their collective asses.

Does removing the above mentioned manufacturers from their web site mean they will not sell those products to US buyers over the internet? I can still get to the products through thier shopping cart.

If you have United States of America selected as the location, you will not be shown any of the products from these manufacturers - it's that simple. Even if you are able to added them to your cart somehow, Scubastore will not be able to ship them to you.

All this kind of practice does is alienate customers. Controlling market availability is similar to price fixing in my view. The intention is the same... to enforce a minimum level of pricing. I doubt that DiveInn would be selling this gear at a loss, so it means Scubapro and Aqualung want to maintain high level profits. It is a way to artificially maintain prices and doesn't allow for a truely competitive market to sort itself out.

It's the total opposite of free market principals, which we all hold dear do we not?

I agree; it is nothig short of price fixing. I had an interesting issue along similar lines come up with a LDS. I was looking at purchasing the Uemis SDA computer which is listed as a retail price of $1,680.00 on other sites as well as thier web site. The LDS quoted me a retail lsit of $1,895.00 discounted to $1,800.00. I know that they import two at a time which must cost under $2,000.00 total to avoid the import tax. So they most likely cost the LDS under $1,000.00 a piece, probably more likely around $900.00 providing a 100% profit. Hard to swallow with the economy as it is at this time, but, I guess "whatever the market will bare" is the appropriate axiom when selling scuba equipment. Is it any wonder with prices being as they are that new divers are in short supply?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom