Question for the she-p users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick update to this thread in case anyone is interested....

After a year of fighting with this stupid thing, I finally had success! I managed 16 dives over six days without a single leak....and in hot, humid weather (Cozumel) where I figured it was a lost cause due to excessive sweating. Additionally, three of those dives were night dives, 13+ hours after having adhered the she-p to myself.

I have a new routine pre-application, but it's gotten efficient enough that it really doesn't take any more time than it did before....with the obvious difference being success :D

Now let's hope this translates to cold water scooter diving :wink:

Wait!!! What is the pre-application routine? Help!

Wait!!! What is the pre-application routine? Help!

So what I've been doing is this: apply one layer of glue to the she-p, hop in the shower and clean down there with a non-moisturizing soap (like Ivory), dry off, apply another layer of glue, use a hair dryer to make sure I'm completely dry and also do it just a bit on the she-p as well, sometimes I add a third layer of glue on certain problem areas (back of the she-p), then add a layer of glue to myself. When I'm actually applying it to myself, I sit with one butt cheek on the toilet and make sure that the "taint" area is as flat as possible so that I don't get any channeling when I actually put the she-p on myself.

The other thing that I've been doing and I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not, but when I remove the adhesive from the she-p, I then soap it down with the same non-moisturizing soap.

It sounds like a long process, but it takes less than ten minutes. Hope it might help some others if they're struggling (hell, I hope it helps me now that I'm back to local diving!).

My routine isn't quite as involved, and so long as I follow it -- no leaks. Glue to She-P. Wash perineum with soap and water, and dry with towel. Sit on toilet seat with butt cheeks spread on the seat so that the "taint" is flat. Make sure skin is dry. (Fanning with my hand has been enough -- I haven't resorted to a blow dryer.) Apply device with firm pressure.

My two keys are: Don't ever clean all the adhesive off the thing, even though it looks loathesome. More glue = more stick, it's that simple. And wash the oil off your skin, even if you think there isn't any. Every leak I've had in the last six months can be traced to skipping one step or the other.

Just wanted to update again :D

I've finally figured out how to pee while on the trigger! We did four scooter dives yesterday....learned to go while on the trigger AND had no leaks! I finally think I've got it figured out for the most part (that said, I'm too big of a chicken to go without the Depends....at least when I'm wearing my Thinsulate undergarment!).

Reactions: Jax
It may be just superstition, but I swear that wearing some kind of protection guarantees against leaks. Every major issue I've had was when I had gone without :)

I know this thread is old, but I've been reading it for a while and this week I took the plunge. After painfull 2:30 cave and scooter dives last summer, I decide to acquire the device.

I received it yesterday.

I'll start the placement testing before punching a hole in the dry suit.

LOL! Welcome and good luck!

Hope you'll share your thoughts. :)

My routine isn't quite as involved, and so long as I follow it -- no leaks. Glue to She-P. Wash perineum with soap and water, and dry with towel. Sit on toilet seat with butt cheeks spread on the seat so that the "taint" is flat. Make sure skin is dry. (Fanning with my hand has been enough -- I haven't resorted to a blow dryer.) Apply device with firm pressure.

My two keys are: Don't ever clean all the adhesive off the thing, even though it looks loathesome. More glue = more stick, it's that simple. And wash the oil off your skin, even if you think there isn't any. Every leak I've had in the last six months can be traced to skipping one step or the other.

What do you do for wearing more than one day? I can't seem to get all the glue off me for about a week. :blush:

To remove the glue off of me, I use the adhesive remover pad that came with the kit and rinse immediately with soap and water. Baby oil also helps remove the adhesive on me. Make sure to wash and rinse yourself with soap and water, dry well before adhering the device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom