Question for Peregrine owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m looking at getting a peregrine but my main concern is that it doesn’t have a user replaceable battery. For those of you that have been using it for a while now, how long did you have it before needing to send it back for a new battery and what was the cost. I only get to do about 40-75 dives a year and all are on nitrox in warm water.
Have also read that when it’s not being used for a while you need to charge it every other month and am wondering if this was something you need to do as well.
Was really hoping that shearwater would come out with an upgraded peregrine with user replaceable batteries at DEMA but my 12+ year old suunto went haywire last month on a dive trip and I’ll be heading to Lembeh in July so need to get a new computer before I go there.

I can do 2 liveaboard trips on it before I need to recharge it. I have over 300 dives on it and it still holds the same charge. It is a great computer and the battery last forever. The "user" replaced battery in my Perdix lasts for approx. one LOB trip depending on the amount of dives.

I can do 2 liveaboard trips on it before I need to recharge it. I have over 300 dives on it and it still holds the same charge. It is a great computer and the battery last forever. The "user" replaced battery in my Perdix lasts for approx. one LOB trip depending on the amount of dives.
Thanks!! That’s the info I was hoping to hear.
What about the need to keep charging it every month or two when not diving? I read somewhere that if you don’t do that it loses all the settings you personalized it with.

I haven't ever done a charge between trips but I do travel quite a bit. I was curious so I just pulled my computer out to look at it. I just got home three weeks ago from Lembeh and I hadn't charged it since before we did 8 days of diving there. It still shows more than 50-60% charge. I will keep an eye on it and see what it does but the manual says all settings are saved permanently:
Behavior on Dead battery
Settings
All settings are retained permanently. No loss of settings occur if the battery dies.
Clock
The clock (time and date) is saved to permanent memory every 16 seconds when the Peregrine is on, and every 5 minutes when off. When the battery dies, the clock stops running. Once the battery is charged, the clock is restored to the last saved value
You will need to update the Clock and Date in the System Setup Menu.
The Peregrine uses a quartz crystal oscillator for time keeping. Expected drift is about 4 minute per month. If you notice drift, it is can be corrected in the System Setup menu.

Great computer, if you don't plan to dive trimix nor CCR, it is simply perfect and Shearwater after sales service is also great anywhere on this planet ...

Back
Top Bottom