Shearwater peregrine vs Garmin MK1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thbcthomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Shearwater Peregrine, but also have a chance to pick up a Garmin MK1. Obviously the Peregrine is a great computer, and i am happy with it. The only reason to replace it would be because the Garmin does have the extra features, which I may or may not use. But it would be nice to have if I wanted them. Does anyone have experience with both of the computers, which do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?

I have a Shearwater Peregrine, but also have a chance to pick up a Garmin MK1. Obviously the Peregrine is a great computer, and i am happy with it. The only reason to replace it would be because the Garmin does have the extra features, which I may or may not use. But it would be nice to have if I wanted them. Does anyone have experience with both of the computers, which do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?
Are you purchasing the Garmin or getting for free? What features catch your eye?

Are you purchasing the Garmin or getting for free? What features catch your eye?
I will be buying from another diver that is upgrading to the mk2i. I do like the idea of being able to use it for other fitness related activities. Not that I do much running these days, but maybe this will motivate me start running again. I am concerned that the screen will not be as good as the peregrine.

I will be buying from another diver that is upgrading to the mk2i. I do like the idea of being able to use it for other fitness related activities. Not that I do much running these days, but maybe this will motivate me start running again. I am concerned that the screen will not be as good as the peregrine.
The screen is not as good as the MK2i, which is not as good as the Peregrine. If you don't use it for an every day watch, and/or don't need the GPS, it won't be an upgrade.

I'm not a fitness tracker person. My Samsung active tells me the time and my texts. I do however really like my Perdix AI vs non AI DC I've used and my AI console. I like AI and really like that I'll probably never dive beyond the capabilities of the perdix. The peregrine is fantastic for rec diving without AI. The smaller screens have never appealed to me.

I have used both. For diving, I like the peregrine. The screen is big and bright.
For a watch to wear, the garmin wins, but I'm not really looking for another watch.

Not exactly, but maybe close.

I have both a Perdix and Garmin MK2s. The MK2s actually has the same screen size as the MK1, but I'm not sure if it's the exact same screen.

I would say it comes down to above water use. If you plan on using the Smart/Activity features, the Garmin wins hands down. If not, the Peregrine would make a lot of sense.

Screen on the MK2s is very easy to read, but really depends on your eyes. I have no trouble reading it, and in some cases find it easier to read as the Perdix can have a glare in some lighting situations. Another consideration for the Garmin is the compass. The Peregrine doesn't have one, but the Garmin does. The Garmin also supports more diving modes, which may or may not be a factor.

Both the Garmin and Shearwater use the same algorithms with custom GFs, and they track well together. If you are used to SurfGF on the Peregrine, you should also be able to show this on the Garmin. I can on the MK2s, but not sure if the same is true for the MK1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom