Question AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After my open water course (where I was firmly cratered on the bottom with 36 lbs of lead), I picked up a dry suit and just started diving with it. However, I was diving with a friend who was an instructor. After diving and teaching for a number of years, I realized what I had missed. I have picked up helpful tips from other instructors to help students develop a feel for their trim depending on the amount of gas put in their wing/bcd versus their dry suit. In the pool, I recommend having students get neutrally buoyant and "transfer" gas from their BCD to their dry suit and vice versa (obviously this means adding to one and dumping from the other) and have them pay attention to if they become head/foot heavy and how easy/hard it is to stay horizontal. This is one tip I received from @custureri who has a DIR background. I never heard from any WRSTC agencies who do this who didn't have at least some DIR training. So there is more than "just take the class." There are differences in performance requirements in different agencies that you may wish to consider.

As always, proper weighting is paramount: just enough to keep you at your safety stop with an empty wing/bcd and a dry suit as empty to remain comfortable with a nearly empty cylinder, and no more.

The road to diving comfortably with a dry suit is hampered if the dry suit doesn't fit well. I can't emphasize this enough. I taught through a shop that consistently gave my students poorly fitted dry suits, and their ability to overcome that obstacle was seriously impaired. Once they got a properly fitting dry suit, it was magic.

I really don't see the point of PADI's AOW course or other agencies' Adventure Diver, unless you just want the card for dive charters that require it. It is better to get AOW certification by taking full courses, and when you complete the five (PADI) or whatever number another agency requires, you will be better off. Just find instructors who will challenge you beyond minimum standards (without violating standards of course).

I say this as someone who would have done training dramatically different with what I know now. Everyone knows which course I'd take after open water, so I won't say it to avoid the collective groan and request that I shut up with it! :wink:
Thank you for your response It’s very informative and I agree a good instructor will go out of his or her way to challenge you that’s how we better ourselves and talking to other divers that had different experiences as well. I have been very fortunate my instructors have been amazing individuals that always taught me more than what’s required that’s why I strive to be a better diver and continue learning along the way.

I appreciate your response to this question but you can only learn so much from a course book it’s the time in the water when your practicing these skills whether it’s in a 20 foot pool or at 40-60 feet in a lake it’s still time in the water doing it. The difference is in a Drysuit you have another buoyancy device besides your BCD and possibly more weight especially neoprene suits.
For some courses, using a pool or confined water with pool like conditions (shallow conditions) is beneficial for learning as it is easier for the instructor(s) and student(s) have conversations. For cold water divers/dry suit though, it is better for an outdoor pool or possibly a park at a lake with great visibility with docks/floats to allow students to be comfortable in a dry suit.

I hope I never have to rent a drysuit, because GUE didn't give me a plastic card. Waah!
Thats fine thanks for your opinion I already own 2 of them so it’s not an issue and if I find a dive resort that won’t let me use one when I want to go diving in one there are many more shops that would also like my business. Not an issue

For some courses, using a pool or confined water with pool like conditions (shallow conditions) is beneficial for learning as it is easier for the instructor(s) and student(s) have conversations. For cold water divers/dry suit though, it is better for an outdoor pool or possibly a park at a lake with great visibility with docks/floats to allow students to be comfortable in a dry suit.
Thank you for your response to my question and yes I will be doing more diving in my drysuit this summer for sure gaining the experience along the way thank you once again.

1) As always, proper weighting is paramount: just enough to keep you at your safety stop with an empty wing/bcd and a dry suit as empty to remain comfortable with a nearly empty cylinder, and no more.

2) The road to diving comfortably with a dry suit is hampered if the dry suit doesn't fit well. I can't emphasize this enough. I taught through a shop that consistently gave my students poorly fitted dry suits, and their ability to overcome that obstacle was seriously impaired. Once they got a properly fitting dry suit, it was magic.
1) wouldn't it be better to be correctly weighted with still a bit of air in your DS at the safety stop so that you are still warm ? Not so if you completely empty it (I never did scuba with a DS so maybe it is a silly remarque)

2) it is seems easier to buy a neoprene DS that fits you well but I find it more difficult with a laminated. Those are more bulky and it is difficult to try the fit before you buy them. What are your thoughts about that ?

1) wouldn't it be better to be correctly weighted with still a bit of air in your DS at the safety stop so that you are still warm ? Not so if you completely empty it (I never did scuba with a DS so maybe it is a silly remarque)
Yes, i see what I wrote "and a dry suit as empty to remain comfortable" could be misconstrued. It is up to the individual to decide how much gas they prefer I'm their dry suit. Hopefully that doesn't mean the Michelin Man :wink:
2) it is seems easier to buy a neoprene DS that fits you well but I find it more difficult with a laminated. Those are more bulky and it is difficult to try the fit before you buy them. What are your thoughts about that ?
Neoprene can vary dramatically in buoyancy from only 15 feet to the surface, so you want to account for that so you add sufficient weight to account for that. @rsingler has brought up that point.

Ive had a crushed neoprene dry suit (still have it). It is warmer, but bulkier, and requires a fair bit more weight as compared to trilam.

Back
Top Bottom