What Certification Option would you use

• Path 1- On board certification

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Path 2- Certification through 3 different dive instructors

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take your time and do what is best for you, and what you feel more comfortable doing. The last thing you want to do is feel rushed, and miss the whole point of learning. If someone sent me a referal to do his/her OW and I did not feel that they were ready do to lack of skills such as mask clearing, then they would not make it past me.....in a hurry to make dive destination or not. Sit back and make sure you are doing what is best for you. If you are a good swimmer and dont mind your face in the water then probably you have no worries either way.

option 2.. if you had that option 3 herman was talkin it would be the best.. but option 2. I agree with everyone about not wanting to spend time at each port doing dive work.. kind of a waste to me.. I dont agree on you needing a computer unless you just have alot of money sitting around. If something happens and you end up not liking diving then it would just have been a waste of money. Plus most new divers suck air so bad that they wont even hit their NDL's (no decompression limit: at 60feet you could spend 47 minutes by the rdp before getting into any kinda small issues). Only thing that will hurt you is your surface interval and repetative dives. And if you get the multilevel diving wheel you can save yourself money, practice your new planner skills and learn proper planning. I dont know, just my two cents.. I do have a computer and i love it but i was sure what i wanted to get out of diving before i spent the money.. Do whats best for you.. good luck.

I'd agree with the 2nd choice, and if you can do herman's idea, all the better. You sound like you're pretty self directed; I bet you'll do fine with different instructors.

Regarding the equpment, the wetsuit/computer combo sounds perfect to start with. Despite what others say, there is a distinct and IMO important benefit to diving with a computer for newbies; the ascent rate alarm. The first time you get out in clear caribbean water, you'll be amazed at how quickly your depth can change; sure it's theoretically better to know the tables and not be reliant on a computer for dive planning, but the computer will help keep you from losing control over your depth without even realizing it. You could get the same benefit with a bottom timer, but as long as you're spending the money you might as well just get an inexpensive computer. The atmos 2 from scubatoys ($280) is a good deal, and I think LP has the suunto gekko for about $250, which is also a good buy. Plus, many caribbean dives are multi level, and probably everyone else in the dive group will be computer diving. As a brand new diver you'll have plenty of other issues on your mind, apart from planning multi level dives, trying to stay with a group of computer users while following your pre-set table dive plan. What if the DM decides that the group is going to stay an extra ten minutes at 60ft? For your cert dives I think you're required to use the tables for planning, but I am also sure that you can wear a computer during those dives.

Have a great time!

Think you might want to consider option #3. If you're sailing out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami you might as well come down a couple days early and be done! Although I have observed the on-board training during a couple recent cruises and it is not a bad class. You just won't have any real dive time and will miss some good opportunities to get extra experience under your belt.

Jcsgt:
I would go with number two, personally. Cruises are for relaxing, not studying.

Also, you don't want to miss the diving in Bonaire.

If you can swing it, buy your own regulator/computer at a minimum. Having your own BC is a plus, as well.

There are many more experienced folks on this board who I'm sure will give you more detailed info and advice.
Agree all that except for the BC vs Computer. The computer is not needed, altho a nice tool. You'll be doing shallow reef dives (I hope - but then, this is the Carib!) and tracking your N2 should be easy on tables.

The BC is the second most important piece of safety gear, tho - the second most mentioned in DAN accidents & deaths. Dive your own if at all possible. :wink:

If money isnt an option that id go for path 2. good luck on which ever you should choose and have fun.

wallacm:
If money isnt an option that id go for path 2. good luck on which ever you should choose and have fun.

Absolutely... the Bonaire diving alone is worth the difference in cost... the rest is gravy!

I would go with Path 2 or the Fla. option of #3 mentioned above. Also a BC would come first for me.

Have a great trip.

Where in TN are you? Complete OW Course in the Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City area is about $350.... One of the instructors teaches OW Scuba at Carson Newman as well.. one shop has weekend trips to Lake City, Florida springs once a month (for the open water dives) is $181 which includes spring entry fees, air fills, and hotel... Next schedualed trip starts diving Friday, the day after Thanksgiving..

-Take care,
Scott

Again.. depends on where you are in the state.. but Loch Low-Minn Quarry in Athens Tennessee closes in general on November 1st.. but is open for reservations year round.. so an instructor may be willing to reserve it for your open water cert.. it may be a little chilly though :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom