What Certification Option would you use

• Path 1- On board certification

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Path 2- Certification through 3 different dive instructors

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyMelton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for some advice on different certification paths. Open to me are 2 different paths towards certification. I am looking for your experience and guidance as I choose which one is best for me.

Background, we are taking a cruise this February 2007 on Princess cruises. Princess through their new waves SCUBA program offers onboard classes and certification. I have already signed up for this class and started (almost finished) reading the books through for the first time. Man am I excited. I already have my ABCs (equipment) and have used it many times snorkeling. Good stuff, bought from a dive shop with the express purpose of using for diving in the future.

Question is to what path should I take.

Path one-
  1. continue to read the books and take the course onboard the ship. This will really eat up much of the port times (every morning for 4 of the 5 ports).
  2. First day is bookwork/exams and 2nd day is pool.
  3. OW dives would be in Grenada and Aruba (not to bad for first dives).
  4. Cost $359 for everything (books, instruction, gear, certification dives).
  5. Advantages- One stop shopping. Same instructor, and currently I am the only cruiser signed up for this course (individualized instruction)
  6. Drawback- I will miss a great diving opportunity in Bonaire (which I hear has some of the best diving in the Caribbean)
Path two-
  1. Take the classwork and pool dives here in TN (OW won't work to late in season)
  2. Referall dives
    1. First 2 in St. Thomas at Coki Dive Resort
    2. Second 2 in St. Kitts (resort name escapes me for the moment)
    3. Both resorts have agreed to this.
  3. Cost is much higher (would be around $450-500)
  4. Advantage- I would be certified by the second port on our cruise, I would miss less in each port and be able to dive with some other people I met while in Bonaire, Grenada, and Aruba as we chose.
  5. Disadvantages????- splitting up the certification between 3 different instructors, and the increase in costs.
Questions
  1. Which one would you chose and why? Looking for personal experience not hearsay.
  2. Other than mask/fin/snorkel what equipment would you recommend I purchase for this. I was thinking about a good wetsuit, and a dive computer. Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.
I know this is a long post and I am asking for quite a bit of information. I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply. I am very excited and looking to the start of fulfilling a lifelong dream in the best, safest, and most rewarding way.

Fuzzy Melton
(Mark)

I would go with number two, personally. Cruises are for relaxing, not studying.

Also, you don't want to miss the diving in Bonaire.

If you can swing it, buy your own regulator/computer at a minimum. Having your own BC is a plus, as well.

There are many more experienced folks on this board who I'm sure will give you more detailed info and advice.

I wouldn't put much faith in diving instruction on a cruise ship. Also, it would suck to have to take up so much on-ship time. I certified about a year ago in advance of a Caribbean cruise, and I'm very glad I did. Taking the class on-board, as I saw others doing, would have been less than ideal.

Most of your cruises are going to involve an off-ship instructor at some point. Well, at least that's been the result of my repeated information requests with different cruise lines.

Though I would not appreciate using 3 different instructors, it will allow you to enjoy more of the cruise. I always suggest getting certified prior to a cruise where someone wants to dive. You'll spend more time enjoying the cruise if you can hop right in (so to speak), less time monkeying with a class on-ship.

If you can find the time to finish the entire OW at your LDS, I would. You run the risk of not being able to finish if something happens to the on-ship instructor in February; illnesses stink but they happen to us all at some point.

On gear:
I strongly recommend that you contact the cruise line and see what equipment they use or will make you use. They will most likely have limitations on what you can bring on board or even use in their dive class due to liabilities.

I would take the basics: mask, fins, booties, snorkel. A wetsuit is optional for ocean diving, but if you think you want one, I'd suggest either a 2/3mil tropical (full or shortie) as a simple "contact" exposure suit. This will help eliminate minor issues should you have direct contact with some form of sea life. Since they will most likely make you use their gauges/regs, I wouldn't take a computer. Just one more piece of gear to lose or have stolen.

Also, do some research on fire coral and jelly fish stings. I'm not sure of the mix percentages anymore, but a mix of vinegar and warm water will help eliminate minor stings. I was religious about having a squirt bottle w/ the mix on my tropical ocean dives.

Personally, I'd do the referral. The quality of the instruction on the ship may be questionable. Also, spending time writing tests while you're in port doesn't sound like too much fun. I'd pay the extr hundred or so.

Yeah, 3 mil and a computer would probably not be a bad idea. I'd suggest the Apeks Quantum.

Just my 2 cents.

I also agree with most above. Choice #2. This would also allow you to establish a relationship with your local dive shop. You WILL need them. The higher cost is just something you have to balance for yourself. I personally would not want to spend 4/5ths of my port stops in class. That,if you think about the cost of the cruise and limiting your real diving time, is more expensive. In my opinion. Have a good cruise either way. Good luck and be safe.

Welcome to the board Mark.

If you can, I would suggest this as Option 3.

Do all your coarse work in TN like opt 2 then take a long weekend in the Fla Keys or the north Fla springs and do your cert dives there. It may cost a little more but you will get the advantages of one instructor in Fla (maybe your current instructor?? We do Fla certs in the winter) and you can spend the time on the cruise diving instead of doing classes.

For now, I would suggest you stick to the basic gear, a good mask that fits well, fins and booties, an inexpensive snorkel and maybe a 3mm wetsuit. The rest you can rent for now and you need some time diving to really understand what you need/like in dive gear. The computer is nice but really not necessary for beginning dives. IMO,the money would be better spent on a FLA trip and good instruction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom