Question about the possible hazard of silver sparkles on Excellerating Force Fins ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My friend, who has ordered the Tan Delta Smoked Black Excellerating Force Fins, would now like to add silver sparkles .... Blair is looking into this

But, she has heard that the sparkles may attract the wrong type of attention from barracuda/ sharks etc

ie, the silver sparkles will catch the light as she fins (and will look really cool :cool2:) but may mimic a shoal of small fish to a hungry barracuda/ shark etc

As she has already fallen in love :kiss2: with her Tan Delta Excellerating Force Fins even before they have arrived she would be very distressed to lose them to a shark attack :depressed:

Question:
is there any truth that the silver sparkles may grab the attention of barracuda/ sharks/ moray eels, trigger fish etc and have a negative outcome

:idk: :idk:

Thanks

Venus

Like the charter boat captains say "Big Lures, Big Fish" It will look like she has a fish at the end of each leg. Always make sure you have your camera when you dive with her.

My friend, who has ordered the Tan Delta Smoked Black Excellerating Force Fins, would now like to add silver sparkles .... Blair is looking into this

But, she has heard that the sparkles may attract the wrong type of attention from barracuda/ sharks etc

ie, the silver sparkles will catch the light as she fins (and will look really cool :cool2:) but may mimic a shoal of small fish to a hungry barracuda/ shark etc

As she has already fallen in love :kiss2: with her Tan Delta Excellerating Force Fins even before they have arrived she would be very distressed to lose them to a shark attack :depressed:

Question:
is there any truth that the silver sparkles may grab the attention of barracuda/ sharks/ moray eels, trigger fish etc and have a negative outcome

:idk: :idk:

Thanks

Venus

The tank on your back is silvery and shiny, how many sharks have tried eating it?

The tank on your back is silvery and shiny, how many sharks have tried eating it?

A tank doesn't look like a shiny fish. Shiny perhaps, but it does not closely resemble the skin of a fish.

A couple of years ago, I found a fishing pole under water. The hook was gone, but it had a silver spoon on it. So I let out a few inches of line so the spoon could dangle. I was amazing to watch the fish come out of nowhere to check it out. Some struck the spoon and some just came for a peek. It was really a fun experience.

Who knows if something would bite her, but sparkles get fishes attention.

And the sparkles on a fin don't look much like a shoal of silversides either.

I would expect fish to be interested in a fishing lure, since a fishing lure is designed to trigger some sort of feeding response from fish. Fishing lures succeed or fail. Lures are based on size, shape, shiny bits, and other factors. It isn't simply the shininess that attracts fish.

Like I said, has a fish ever attacked your tank?

I have Flying Force Fins with Sparkles and live in Florida and they have not payed any attention to my fins. I have not even thought about it till you brought it up.

Venus,
Force Fins with sparkles has been around for 20 years or more and there never has been a report of them attracting the wrong type of attention from any type of marine life.

Hi
I am the friend that asked about the silver sparkles. I think that the sparkles look absolutely amazing but a few friends mentioned baracuda etc when I told them about my order for excellerating tan delta force fins. Now, I can put it down to jealousy about cool looking fins ! Thanks to everyone for settling this for me.
I opted for the smoke black with diamond whiskers because I will soon be getting a new wetsuit. Wetsuit manufacturers always seem to put colours on the suits instead of just plain black. The smoke black with sparkles fins will be my "bling" fins. I am VERY excited about thier arrival.

Back
Top Bottom