question about miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for HP hoses exploding.... if anyone has ever looked at the end of a HP hose, the orifice on each end of the hose is just a "pinhole".

so even if the hose "exploded" the amount of air that comes out of it isn't more than a stream of bubbles. There is even a video out there where someone cut the end of a HP hose off underwater and it was nothing more than a stream of bubbles.... not some "HP hose flailing around" with air going everywhere.

Explode means to burst with a violent release of energy... pretty much what I experienced. It made a huge BANG when the hose burst but yes, the leakage of air was minor and after the initial bang it was just a hissing noise until I shut down that post.

I got a reply from Miflex when I asked about whether HP hoses had had failures and what was the cause of them:

"Many thanks for your email and questions, and as ever at Miflex hose we like to pride ourselves in the quality of our products and our service and as such review all comments and returned products, to see how these can be improved for the future.

We have had a very small number of HP hoses returned and/or reported to us as failed and have been reviewing these to see if there are improvements required for the future.

As ever, if you have any questions or queries please feel free to contact me."

I have written back to ask what the problems have been with the hoses that have been returned. I.e if it is a manufacturing problem or if it is a user error with the care I've taken of my hoses.

Here are some pics and personal reports that qualify as "explosion" to me.

Miflex HP hose issues

I don't want to waste a dive on poor equipment. The need for these is based in Peter Panism, and other than a cool factor, there isn't much to it. When I am on a real dive, I don't want to have to go home because of one of these.

The LP ones fray. The little platic fibers break and result in sharp pointy things. I've seen it myself. A properly routed hose won't pull on your face, even on long dives.

I have spoken to two divers that were in cave training with an instructor in Florida. He wouldn't pass them if they kept them on. He then showed them that even with pressure you can kink the miflex hoses.
I did not see it for myself but they explained to me that they both got rid of their miflex hoses immediately.
I suppose no one has heard of this?

I have spoken to two divers that were in cave training with an instructor in Florida. He wouldn't pass them if they kept them on. He then showed them that even with pressure you can kink the miflex hoses.
I did not see it for myself but they explained to me that they both got rid of their miflex hoses immediately.

hell you can kink a rubber hose also.

the miflex hoses do kink fairly easy. Cave and tech diving is not something I do so I cant comment on that but for rec diving they are awesome. Mine is like 24 inches I think and not a problem yet.

You can kink rubber hoses also... sorry I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?

well, there is no point. I was stating a fact that an instructor for cave diving in FL highly recommends changing miflex to regular hoses. Myself... I don't have a miflex hose but for no reason other than they are expensive.

I think they might be easier to kink is what they were saying. ?? just some thought

Well, it seems that several of these accounts, both positive and negative, are based on hearsay. So, I'm going to test them out, and I'll post my findings after several months use. I plan on doing about 70 dives this summer (We're having a baby in October, so I need to dive as much as possible).

jpendergrast - I have a miflex for my primary & for my octo and after 1 year of diving the deep blue (75 dives from 15' reefs to the Vandenburg, SG, etc) they look like I just pulled them from the box. I have a wireless SPG so I can't comment on HP options, but can tell you my firsthand account w/ 2nd stages has been fantastic.

A thought about condition (also since bettyrubble asked about hose lengths for shorter divers in another forum) - it might be because I have a 24" hose to my primary 2nd stage and a 27" hose to my integreated octo/inflator so my hoses never touch the ground, drag around the bottom of the sea, etc. but I just checked and have absolutely no fraying anywhere.

Re: where to buy - I just Googled 'miflex hoses' & got a bunch of hits.

Cheers,
SD

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom