Miflex Inflator Hose Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've had two failures this year with the Schrader valve in two Miflex LP inflator hoses.

The first was last May when I was in Bali, resolved quickly by changing the hose to a normal rubber hose. On my way home I bought another Miflex hose in Singapore.

Yesterday when gearing up using a different regulator set, the Miflex LP inflator hose used for my drysuit started leaking when the gas was turned on. Removed the hose and plugged the first stage, not an issue.

When I got home I remove the Schrader valve and replaced it with one from another Rubber LP inflator hose, problem solved.

Has anyone else had issues with the Schrader valves in Milflex hoses?

Both hoses are probably three years old. I've never had an issue before with an LP hose, Miflex or other make.

I only use regulator hoses with QD adapters to simplify spares. These QD adapters are also easier to service.
I have QD adaptors with my FFM set up for my UWR set up.

My first problem was during a dive at Tulamben in Bali.
When I was descending I discovered that the inflator was not working, and I ended up doing a manual inflation when we were heading down to photograph a Rhinopia at 30m.

When I disconnected the hose, gas was leaking from the hose so I reconnected the hose to the LP inflator and it stopped leaking but would not put gas into my wing.

The problem is with the Schrader valve. Just wondering if they are the same size as a car tyre Schrader valve. They look similar, so I might just go to a tyre garage and get some spares.

It is my understanding that the Schrader valve cores are all the same diameter, but come in slightly different lengths. If you match lengths, you should be fine.

DW

Okay, I popped into a tyre place and one of the guys gave me a handful of valve stems. I probably have a dozen or so in my off road gear box, but hadn't thought of looking there.

full

The tyre valves are slightly longer by a couple of mm, however they do work :D

Replacing the valve is way much cheaper than buying a new hose.

I have some spare for you, give me a shout,,
Thanks for the offer but as I mentioned I got a handful from a tyre place for free and they work fine (so far anyway - only done two dives with them in place yesterday).

It is interesting that the Schrader valve has a connection to the old world of copper diving helmets. August Schrader invented the valve but was building helmets well into World War II. I actually trained in a Schrader hat in 1970.

1659972135797.png

1659972112969.png

Okay, I popped into a tyre place and one of the guys gave me a handful of valve stems. I probably have a dozen or so in my off road gear box, but hadn't thought of looking there.

full

The tyre valves are slightly longer by a couple of mm, however they do work :D

Replacing the valve is way much cheaper than buying a new hose.
Ouch, this photo gives me a headache!

Back
Top Bottom