question about miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are the benefits of using these hoses? I've heard they last longer, and are used mostly for cave, or wreck penetration dives where normal hoses might be prone to getting kinked or cut. Is there any truth to this?

I'm certainly no cave diver, but just want to know of the pros and cons to switching to these hoses. Also, where can these be bought? Aside from LDS?

Thanks

Stories must be true. These hoses are very strong, flexible and seems to be durable. They do “scuff” easily which I don’t like.

due to very enhanced flexibility, it eliminates most if not all pull on the 2nd stage when turning your head from side to side (which was my reason for purchase) ~ very happy with them ...

Lighter weight, smaller, and more flexible are a plus for travel. It doesn't make them disappear, but the difference in packing is actually quite noticeable.

I'm happy with mine, plan to add the HP hose to my kit soon.

What are the benefits of using these hoses? I've heard they last longer, and are used mostly for cave, or wreck penetration dives where normal hoses might be prone to getting kinked or cut. Is there any truth to this?

Not sure if they last longer, they have not been around that long ( I have had some stage bottle hoses on for years without any issue).

I have two Miflex I added about a year ago. Reason is flexibility. They route easier around tight areas and do not 'pull' as much on second stages. But that is about all.

Being that 75% of my dives are at least a six hour drive, packing is one of the main reasons I'm looking to change them. My travel reg bag requires a lot of meticulous bending and routing for the reg set to fit, while the storage bag for the reg barely fits in my dive bag and is quite cumbersome. Has anyone using these hoses ever notice, or worse experienced, any negative aspects of the miflex hoses (aside from the higher price).

Very important with Miflex hoses:
LP = Good
HP = Bad

I love the low pressure hoses. Lighter and very flexible. Despite what they say in the advert, you cannot actually tie and not in it and breathe easily (I tried - you can breathe, but it is a bit sticky), but you can scrunch them up and strech them into all sorts of places.

The HP hoses have a bad rep - lot of stories about catastrophic failures. I have never heard a bad thing said about the LP hoses though (other than that they cost more).

The HP ones explode and the LP ones fray. I don't want exploding hoses or frayed plastic bits poking my drysuit seal. I will pass on them.

I've not had any fraying issues with my LP Miflex hoses.

I do like the flexibility though. especially for longer hose configuration.

As for HP hoses exploding.... if anyone has ever looked at the end of a HP hose, the orifice on each end of the hose is just a "pinhole".

so even if the hose "exploded" the amount of air that comes out of it isn't more than a stream of bubbles. There is even a video out there where someone cut the end of a HP hose off underwater and it was nothing more than a stream of bubbles.... not some "HP hose flailing around" with air going everywhere.

See this video. HP Hose does not "explode" when cut. In fact, you can't even cut it with a knife. you need a set of lock cutters. and after 15 minutes, it still hasn't drained the tank because the 'pinhole' is so small.

You can skip forward to 1:34 in this video to get to the hose cutting part.

[youtubehq]2-dhP_jSO6I[/youtubehq]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom