question about miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had my long hose Miflex from the beginning (3 years ago?) and replaced all the others on my rig more recently.

They are way lighter, and flexible...though they (especially the long hose) sometimes take on memory of undesirable shapes, which makes neat folding more challenging.

I also have to agree that the fraying is an annoyance on the back of my neck in the rare cases I don't dive with a hood. One poster mentioned the fear of poking a latex seal, and I think that's a real concern, though I use neoprene on my neck.

I'd have to seriously question the premise that they are more durable, since the only hose failures I've encountered with rubber hoses is on 6" HP hoses, and I can't recall a hose I've changed due to exterior degradation. If I dove bare neck more (now only in pool) I'd have replaced my replaced my long hose by now.

A temporary fix is to use a nail clipper to snip the frayed strands flush to the hose.

I've also been using the HP hoses since they came out. No breakage issues. However, one annoying feature for me is the that the SPG cannot swivel easily once the pressure is turned on. You have to manhandle the SPG into an exposure so that you can see it easily when you unclip your gauge. Hard to explain, but maybe some of you have experience with this...

Been very happy with my LP Miflex hoses. Done hundreds of dives with no fraying. I don't like them for 7' hose though as they are too floaty. 5' is perfect as well as my short backup hose.

HP hoses... yea really not happy with those.

4261782164_261814d5ee.jpg

This is a HP hose I had for a few months (I guess 50 or 60 dives), failed in three places. It had been pressurised for a while and then exploded as I hit the water after jumping off a boat.

Miflex customer service from the dealer I bought it from in response to this was great though. I got a replacment hose in two days after this happened as well as free LP hoses.

At this point in time if I needed a HP hose I would not get Miflex. However I am going to see how my replacement goes and if that lasts a while I might change my mind.

Have there been any efforts by the manufactuers to address the HP hose issue? Just curious if 'newer' ones include any correction.

Have there been any efforts by the manufactuers to address the HP hose issue? Just curious if 'newer' ones include any correction.

No idea... but very interested to hear if they are. I might send an email to Miflex to ask later, they have been good at replying to past emails about other questions. If I hear anything I'll post back :)

My primary hose, secondary hose, and drysuit hose are all Miflex and I am loving it. Miflex is perfect for my 5-footer primary, but I can understand the complaints about a 7' Miflex, they will sway. If I ever switch to a 7', I will probably go rubber since I haven't seen anyone with a routing issue yet.

Other than that, I really do like them. Haven't experienced any fraying as of yet, since I don't have that many dives on them yet. But time will tell. What I would suggest is that, if you are looking to go Miflex, just replace your hoses as necessary. I bought mine as I was purchasing my hog rig, so it made sense to buy miflex hoses since I was replacing most of them any way. Or you can jump in feet first, then keep the rubber hoses around for a rainy day. It's your rig.

BTW, Saspotato, I would love to know any information you may hear about upgraded HP hoses as well. I made the mistake of buying one before I did the research, and now it's sitting around collecting dust :(.

Peace,
Greg

BTW, Saspotato, I would love to know any information you may hear about upgraded HP hoses as well. I made the mistake of buying one before I did the research, and now it's sitting around collecting dust :(.

Sure, well I have emailed them and will report back if I hear.

I'm using the 7ft hose and the 22in backup hose in miflex. Everything has been fine but never liked the HP or found a need to replace the dry suit hose. Maybe if you were using the SPG as a back up and had an AI computer.

See this video. HP Hose does not "explode" when cut. In fact, you can't even cut it with a knife. you need a set of lock cutters. and after 15 minutes, it still hasn't drained the tank because the 'pinhole' is so small.

How did we ever resolve arguments like this before YouTube?

I have about 200 dives on my Miflex hoses at this point, most of which are wreck penetration dives. Singles rig, doubles rig, stage bottles, deco bottles - all hoses are still in perfect condition.

You can read my Miflex mini-review here: Miflex Hoses at www.DiveSeekers.com

I do have a Miflex HP hose...but the jury is still out on that one. All the benefits that make Miflex great for an LP hose (thinner, more supple, slicker, flexible, etc) seem to actually make for a sub-optimal HP hose. If you don't clip off your gauge/console it will flop all over the place - even when pressurized - allowing it to damage environment, making it hard to find, and even creating more of an entanglement hazard. If you clip off gauge/console the hose can still get caught up in itself, other stuff, etc. It's so thin that with gloves on it's hard to distinguish the hose by feel from a d-ring, cord from a stage rigging kit, a clipped off goodie bag, etc. I've actually mistakenly clipped stage/deco bottles to the HP Miflex hose - its that thin that I couldn't feel difference vs d-ring and the snap on the stage rigging easily clipped on to it. (You can imagine the Charlie Foxtrot that would ensue doing a gas switch if you were clipped off thusly!)

For my HP hose I like standard rubber HP hose that "stands proud" when pressurized - easier to clip-off/un-clip, if not clipped it still sort of stays in one place/direction, etc.[

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom