Question about Mares masks (Zero 9 in particular)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Mares Zero 9, well I should say had, was diving Breakwater in CA today, got out to nice water depth, tried to go down, mask seemed to be leaking, thought eh, must have caught it in my hood, went up, took it off, and found that the top plastic piece had snapped, and that the lenses were falling out!

So, now I need a replacement, thing is I have custom made (and ground) lenses for my Zero 9, now what I want is a mask that will fit the same lenses, unfortunately I'm thinking the only mask that will do this is in fact, another Mares Zero 9 (which are no longer being made). I can pick one up for around $50 from the internet but I'm worried that taking it apart to put the new lenses in I might break it, any help? Does any other mask have the same size lenses (if so I can get one from my LDS and get THEM to put the lenses in, thus saving a lot of hassle) otherwise I'll just have to wing it (or buy a completely different mask and new lenses, but that'll be rather more expensive than I want to pay right now).

Thoughts?

James,
There are three masks that fit the lenses you are referring to; Zero 9, Seta, and Solaris. All three are discontinued, however Mares still has very small qty in the Seta still available. The Seta was an extremely popular mask during it's run. Find a local Mares dealer, if they don't have a Seta in stock they can order one in blue clear or yellow clear.

I hope this helps.

Zak

Okay followup question then.

How quickly do masks degrade if not being used? I'm thinking since the only masks that will fit my lenses are all no longer made I might be able to pickup say a couple of spare masks and use one, then when it breaks, use the other?

If you bought two, you'd probably end up having to buy new prescription lenses before the masks wore out. I think if you left it in a box, out of sunlight. The extra mask should last you a very long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom