Question about gloves...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just purchased my first wetsuit, do I need to buy gloves by the same manufacturer or can I just buy what fits and is available at my LDS. I have smallish hands so trying them on is a must.

Thanks!
-Faith

You don't need to buy same manufacturers gloves, I too have very small hands and agree trying on is a must as sizing can vary between manufacturers.

You can mix and match on your dive items, no problem at all.

Don;t cheap out on your gloves. A good glove like Scubapro, Bare, Henderson) will be glued prior to blind stitching such that it is watertight. Water will enter only at the wrist. I have been very disappointed by good looking copycats like H2Odyssey which let cold water make a beeline for my fingers.

I also suggest a gauntlett glove that will give a good overlap for limited water flow and doubles up on keeping your wrists warm.

Most brands have mens and ladies sizes but stock of the ladies cuts can be hard to find. Just saying in case you do not find Cinderllas's slipper... errr glove. This usually starts to matter as hands get small such as yours.

Pete

As an additional question in the same theme, what about hoods? I have a hooded vest, but just want a hood. Same manufacturer or not necessary?

I have a big recommendation for "whites" heat gloves, I use the 3mm in 48 degree water and find them warm and great for dexterity.

The hood can also be different.
I love the Bare gloves. I'm still looking for a favorite hood but I heard Waterproof is good. I have a Waterproof wetsuit that I love. ( as much as I love wetsuits, I prefer a drysuit)

Gloves and boots don't need to come from the same manufacturer as your wetsuit. I wear Subgear gloves and boots and an AL wetsuit.

As an additional question in the same theme, what about hoods? I have a hooded vest, but just want a hood. Same manufacturer or not necessary?

There's no need to have *any* gear item from same manufacturer.

You can mix booties from manufacturer A with fins from B etc etc. Regulator can be different brand from BCD and so on.

Most probably that big name manufacturers that offer huge lines of scuba gear don't really produce all their gear in one factory- they probably outsource to China and other low cost production countries lots of the items and components.

Sure, sometimes you buy all in one package at lds and maybe you get some discount. But even lds will be happy to mix brands if it fits you better and helps close the deal....

Sent from my myTouch 4G using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom