Question about Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Riemer:
I'm finding this thread confusing since my LDS is telling me all I'll need in Cancun/Cozumel is a dive skin. What is the water temp? I was hearing mid to upper 70's to even low 80's. I'm going May 1st for a week.

Scott,
The first week in May? When are you going to be there and where are you staying? We leave on teh 6th and we are staying at the Reef Club.

Here is a link to a thread about a problem dive in Coz: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=48397&page=1&pp=40

I spoke with the author confidentially, and learned that I knew the operation and guide from my 2003 experiences. Yep, he's trouble, but - I ain't tellin', either, as there are so many like him there.

INTRUDERDIVER:
Scott,
The first week in May? When are you going to be there and where are you staying? We leave on teh 6th and we are staying at the Reef Club.

We are actually staying in/near Cancun at Moon Palace. I'm not yet sure what days and locations we are diving. I thought I knew but am still processing the info I've gotten here. We'll be there the 1st-8th. Interested in trying to hook up logistically? Send me a PM.

DandyDon:
Here is a link to a thread about a problem dive in Coz: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=48397&page=1&pp=40

I spoke with the author confidentially, and learned that I knew the operation and guide from my 2003 experiences. Yep, he's trouble, but - I ain't tellin', either, as there are so many like him there.

DandyDon,
I read that thread and understand what you mean. Putting your life into someone else's hands is pretty scary. It could be very easy for a newly certified diver to want to trust the DM. I hope that if this person worked for the dive operator I mentioned, you'd let me know? But I understand that it's not just about one. Sorry everyone for the second post in a row, I couldn't figure out how you quote two different people in the same posting. Oooooh-Rah!

I always wear my 3mm shorty. I just like it. Personally, I don't like the full suits, they never fit well. But, if it's cold I'll wear a skin and the shorty over that, before I'd wear a full suit. If that's not enough, well, it's too cold for me.

As far as cozumel goes, I was there this last January, and If your acclimated to the cold you might be just fine wearing no protection at all, or you might need something more, but I'd suggest that you wear enough to be on the warm side, being cold is not good for you when diving. As for what you should wear, its nice to have an assortment of suits and skins that you can mix and match. After a few dives you'll know what "you" need. Everyone has different levels of comfort.

I dive in Cozumel about every other week. I have a full 3 mil suit, a 3 mil beanie, and a skin with me....truthfully, I don't use any of them anymore. I dive in a swim suit and swim shorts. I don't worry about protecting my skin from coral and rocks, because I don't touch anything.

Now, I've always been a warm natured type of person....and I've got more natural insulation than I probably need....but that is how I dive.

I agree with what's been said....there's not a wrong or right answer. Are you a person who is generally warmer than others, colder than others....make your decision accordingly.

Most importantly....have a wonderful, safe time!

Peace,
Cathie

Just got back today from doing 14 dives in cozumel. The water temp was 80-81.. Nobody I met would consider diving without at least a 3mm shorty.. In addition, a lot of the dive sites were covered with Stinging Hydroids, its very difficult not to bump into them a couple times with some of the currents, and if you do, you wish you didn't...unless you stay far, far away from the bottom..for that reason alone, I would wear a full 3mm shorty..

scottfiji:
Just got back today from doing 14 dives in cozumel. The water temp was 80-81.. Nobody I met would consider diving without at least a 3mm shorty.. In addition, a lot of the dive sites were covered with Stinging Hydroids, its very difficult not to bump into them a couple times with some of the currents, and if you do, you wish you didn't...unless you stay far, far away from the bottom..for that reason alone, I would wear a full 3mm shorty..
I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you cannot keep yourself off of a reef then the corect response is to go to a local quary where you won't do any damage and practice until you have your bouyancy under control. Putting on a full suit so you can drag the bottom without getting stung is simply not an acceptable answer.

James your "spot on" If you can't keep from "hitting" the reef, then your too close, period. How much of a wetsuit or not should never be determined by protecting yourself from coral scrapes or hydroids. AND I'll say it again- how thick of a wetsuit is a personal preferance/need. I rarely wear 3 mil of suit. I wear a 1mil in Coz or sometimes only a vest, but that's just me.

I love Cozumel, Going back in June. I packed a 3mm shorty and a dive skin last year and ended up ditching them in favor of my swimming suit for a total of 15 dives over a week. I did use the dive skin again for the night dives. I normally dive in New England cold waters and found Cozumel water so nice and comfortable. My wife on the other hand is taking 5-7-5 mm as she gets cold quick and the 3mm was not enough.

Most of the diving I did was drift diving with little to no movement needed. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Don't touch anything.

Most of Aqua Safari's DM's wore shorts only for the dives I did. I did see one DM that had a 3mm full suit.

Back
Top Bottom