Question about Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INTRUDERDIVER:
Hellow everyone,
Well I have a shorty which is a 2-1mm wet suit. I am being told that this should be more then enough protection against the tempeture and sea life (IE, Fire Coral).
Cozumel is a National Marne Park. According to the rules:

Don't touch or disturb marine organisms alive or not. Don't stir or step on the sandy bottom. Small creatures live there.

So fire coral shouldn't be a concern. If your shorty keeps you warm in 79-81 degree water go with that.

James

I go to Coz every year, with the water temp being in the high 70's. I dive a skin, just to protect from jellies and the sun and have never been cold. I have used it to 115' and in the cenotes. Do bring a light jacket or large beach towel for surface interval travel, it will keep you toasty. My wife on the other hand dives a 3 mm and is shivering by the end dive #2. Heavier people tend to stay warm longer than those with less body fat. If you have an extra layer of natural insulation, and you don't chill easily, a skin or shorty should be fine.

Scott Riemer:
OK, so for this new diver, what info. do I need? I'm a big guy with a little extra God-given insulation. Does this sound like a good plan? I'll take the dive skin. If it doesn't work out (ie. I get cold), I can rent a 3mil wetsuit and layer, right? I really think 5mil would be too warm for me in Cozumel.

As has been said many times on this and many other threads, thermal protection needs vary with the diver and other conditions. From this info and your Profile (thanks!), I also see that you're under 40 and brand new. With a little extra adipose layering, the 1 mil will probably be fine. You'll burn thru air and calories both more than an experienced diver, so you'll create more body heat than some others, and be back on the boat sooner than some others. Wear a hooded windbreaker & cap on the boat, and drink room temperature liquids to stay hydrated. I shiver just watching divers drink cold liquids on a boat.

Have you ever divd in the Ocean before? I don't actually think that Cozumel is great beginner diving, so be sure and impress on the Dive Guide that you are new, and accept help when needed. If he wants to hold your hand, let him; he's not getting fresh.

bertschb:
I was in Coz a couple months ago. Water was 79 (surface and at depth) and I had a 3mm full suit. I got cold after a couple dives. I was actually shivering under water on the second dives. I'm almost bald and I was not wearing a tropical hood (I bought one as soon as I got back). I understand not having hair makes a BIG difference in heat loss. That's probably why I got so cold. I will say that all the DM's (in Coz, GC and Belize) wore full suits - some with vests - and they didn't look like 3mm suits to me. I'd guess 5mil but that's just a guess. My point is the locals weren't wearing shorts or bikini's. They wore more than any of the tourists.

I don't know how old, experienced or heavyset you may be (update your profile, wll ya'?) but - yeah, if you're bald, you'll lose heat faster. Even though you're used to cooler weather overall, you can lose heat from your head even faster without hair - diving and on the boat. I carry a 1 mil beanie and a 3 mil on trips - in case of need, and always wear a cap in the wind on the boat, and I have hair.

tigrevp:
If you're divng wet, nothing less than 3MM is adequate for physical prtection..Imm are nice and lok sexy, but slide past a rock or coral or anything sharp, or mess with a Damselfish, and you'll rue the day as blood trails out of your wound. I have worn my 3,mm Henderson gold in Bonaire, where the water is real warm, and did a 210 foot dive in the 3mm plus a shortie and was fine...but more is better as its not likely you'll overheat in a 3mm jumpsuit at anything below 50 feet and water under 82 degrees.

You're more experienced and trained than I am, but - I can't agree with you completely. My 1 mil Skin is often fine for me. Maybe my skin is tougher than yours? You redheaded?

Intruder, as you can see, how much neoprene you wear is an individual choice. I suggest getting yourself a 3mm and a hood. Take your shorty and the 3mm and hood to Cozumel (which by the way is incredible diving!), wear the 3mm and hood on your first dive. If you get warm on the dive, pull on the neck under your chin to allow cool water to enter the suit. If you get chilled, add the shorty on the next. You don't necessarily need to go out and buy four suits to make all of your dives. Also remember, as the week progresses, depending on how many dives you make, you may feel that the water is making you colder. Especially on individual days, you will notice yourself getting colder as the day goes on and you do more dives. One thing you can do to prevent this from happening is drink lot's of water. Staying hydratred will help keep you warm.

DandyDon:
Have you ever divd in the Ocean before? I don't actually think that Cozumel is great beginner diving, so be sure and impress on the Dive Guide that you are new, and accept help when needed. If he wants to hold your hand, let him; he's not getting fresh.

DandyDon, I made one shallow dive in Okinawa, Japan about 15 years ago while in the Marines. No training, no certification. I am currently getting my O/W certification (have always wanted to but didn't find time). The biggest reason I'm doing it now is because our wives wanted to go to Cancun. My dive buddy and I decided to get certified before we go. By the time we go, we should have at least 5 ocean dives (2 beach dives at Shaw's Cove and 3 boat dives at Catalina) as part of our certification. I recognize this does not make me a great diver and probably not even a good diver.

I contacted a dive operation in Cancun-Manta Divers and explained that we were new divers but definitely wanted to do at least one Cozumel dive. They suggested a package they had which would allow us to dive 3 different days out of the 7 we'll be there. One of those days we'll be at Cozumel. What about Cozumel would make it not a good dive for us? I don't want to do anything out of my league but I'm also not afraid of a challenge. I'll tell anyone who'll listen that I'm a rookie diver.

Thanks for your input, that's why I joined the board-to get advice from experienced divers.

"I will say that all the DM's (in Coz, GC and Belize) wore full suits - some with vests - and they didn't look like 3mm suits to me. I'd guess 5mil but that's just a guess. My point is the locals weren't wearing shorts or bikini's. They wore more than any of the tourists."

keep in mind that these guys do four or five dive per days, sometimes more, six days
a week. i spoke with a DM at Grand Cayman and he said that he just doesn't like
getting cold after a few dives every day, so he wore a full 5 mil.

we tourists will generally do two dives per day (though some, of course, do lots more), so we don't need to layer as much.

WE dove two days this past week at Paamul, and my wife and I both wore 3mm full suits, no hoods. We were very comfortable for all 4 dives, which were in the 60 ft range. We actually were a little warm on the ride out there and back. Our DO's wore nothing more than swim trunks and t-shirts, and seemed extremely comfortable. It's all really subjective. What works for some is not right for others.

Semper Fi, Fellow! When I was in The Corps, Okinawa was where one went just before Nam. Fortuately, I never had to...

Since you survived The Corps, you'll probably survive your first 50 dives okay, but let me offer some cautions:

Take your the Octo-Reg & BC you OW in so you'll know it well. Don't even think about renting gear there. Also be sure you have a Safety Sausage & Storm Whistle on every dive, and use accordingly. Also carry some web belt Weight Keepers, in case you have troubles with your system and have to use one; they make a lot charging for lost weights, and that's dangerous.

Be sure every dive Guide knows that you're a greenhorn, and that you do not want to do any diving beyond your training. Follow your training, even if the Guide leads more agressively.

They commonly have you remove your gear in the water and pass it to a crewman, which I like, but be sure you don't remove your BC before you do your weight belt. I've seen that happen, but these people were lucky with the ladder; I've read about worse, even about one who panicked, sunk, and never dropped his weights - drowning. The crewman taking your gear may not speak English, so he may not be able to remind you.

Do not expect any of the assurances normally required by U.S.Coast Guard and other U.S. entities when stateside. I've been on boats that had no PFDs, fire exinguishers, radios, or oxygen. They may move your gear and set it up for you, but you check it closely anyway.

And keep your DAN card handy. Call them collect with any problems.

My suggestions, anyway...

Also, if you use a snorkel at the surface, be sure that you switch to your reg before you start your descent, and make sure that you have your fins on when you make your entry. I don't know anyone that has been diving for many years that hasn't made both of these errors. ;^)

Personally, I think Cozumel is fine for beginners, as long as they are straightforward with the dive op about their experience level. There are plenty of dive sites there suitable for divers of any level of expertise.

Just one more opinion on the thickness of wetsuits. My last trip in Cozumel was last month and the water temps were right around 79 degrees. On my boat people wore from 1 mil to 7 mils. All seemed happy with their selection. Most of these folks had a large number of dives under their weight belts.

Moral of the story is that if you are new to this type of diving and this temp waters, be prepared to adjust as necessary.

dnhill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom