Quarter turns

Do you back off a quarter turn?

• Yes

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 54.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see no harm in using the 1/4 turn to back off from fully open. It signals to someone else who may be rechecking the valve that it is indeed "open" to some degree. Further checking will soon indicate whether it is nearly fully open or nearly fully closed. Someone checking a fully open valve may mistake it for a closed one and give it a good reef which may jam it open. Not always dangerous when diving with a single tank and K valve (inconvenient maybe) but may be problematic in a doubles or Y/H valve combo when a needed shut down cannot be performed. BTW, I have actually seen people struggling to open an already opened valve.

That's a sure fire way to get yelled at by me. Nobody touchs my valves after I turn them on, unless I ask them too.

However, without checking the valve theid have to actually ask you to know wether it was before or after youve turned it on..

I back off 1/4 turn. Keeps the valve from jammng in the open position. When a valve is seated open and the metel expands from temperature changes you can not shut it easily. Lastly that habit was reinforced in me while on submarines. Now in an overhead environment i open to the stops to prevent the valve from turning when bumping into things. Thats not too often. (the overehead not the bumping.) I am sure that it is a habit that was born from environments and systems that do not apply to our application.

Split fins any one?????

However, without checking the valve theid have to actually ask you to know wether it was before or after youve turned it on..

That's my concern not anybody else's. Not directed at you Tigerman but one of my favorite sayings is "Make someones day, mind your on business!"

That's my concern not anybody else's. Not directed at you Tigerman but one of my favorite sayings is "Make someones day, mind your on business!"
I know, but amazingly many deck hands around the world either dont speak coprehensible english or they just dont bother asking..

Not 1/4 turn back but maybe half that. That way I can see that the valve had opened all the way when I check it instead of thinking that it might have stuck in place.

Grab the handle, twist it open all the way to check it then twist it back just a bit.

I do not close a 1/4 turn. Reason, i use doubles with an isolator, and don't need the confusion if I have a manifold issue. Is it ultimately that big of a deal, no. But when you continue to add small deviations from normal rigging your checklists gets longer and longer. I like to keep it as simple as possible and I live by the KISS motto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My valves have two positions OPEN and CLOSED, no quarter, half eighth turn.

Yes, back off a quarter turn (except quarter turn valves!!) Open can be verified without confusing for closed. Similarly, always check a valve's position by going in the closed direction. Learned this in the Navy and its solid practice in the nuke plants I've worked in (also not for valves that have a designed backseat.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom