Quarter turns

Do you back off a quarter turn?

• Yes

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 54.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty easy to tell the difference between the nukes and the DIR folks here. :D

Pretty easy to tell the difference between the nukes and the DIR folks here. :D

By the nice aura about them? :D

I was taught to turn all the way on, then back off 1/2 turn. Did that until taking a NAUI crossover where the course director was adamant that the valve should be left turned all the way on - and that was the way we were to teach it in our NAUI course. Wasn't NAUI policy, just his logic. He explained that turning all the way on, then turning back could lead to someone turning the valve off instead of on in OOA emergency since the diver is reaching behind and trying to remember "lefty loosey; righty tighty." Seemed logical, so I changed the way I taught and the way I turn on my valve. In practice - as others have described - I turn fully on, then just a smidgen back.

Heard the story of someone hitting the valve and jamming it open. Seems like a fluke. I'd have to see some real stats to support that position, so to speak.

I am with Cephasiii for the same reason. All the way or all the way off. Also, I really have no desire, not an ass about it, but don't desire anyone touching my valve before splash in. I have seen the "Tank valve on/off indicators" and although don't have any of them I like them.

I do not close a 1/4 turn. Reason, i use doubles with an isolator, and don't need the confusion if I have a manifold issue. Is it ultimately that big of a deal, no. But when you continue to add small deviations from normal rigging your checklists gets longer and longer. I like to keep it as simple as possible and I live by the KISS motto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here except I use SM doubles. No point in reaching under an armpit to shut down a valve and find out I went the wrong way. Even if it is only 1/4 or .25 or 25% or 90* of a turn.

I am with Cephasiii for the same reason. All the way or all the way off. Also, I really have no desire, not an ass about it, but don't desire anyone touching my valve before splash in. I have seen the "Tank valve on/off indicators" and although don't have any of them I like them.

I use those "on/off" indicative valve handles. I love them and have them on the majority of my tanks to include my doubles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks James. I was going to include a note about SM but you were able to state it better. As a, not just yet sidemounter, I really don't think DM's on the boat dare to touch a sidemounter's valves. Some use a left and right valve, some two right valves and I guess some use two left valves. I think that it is much like a DM will check your back gas but will not (haven't seen it yet) touch your stage / deco tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom