Question setting XTX40 lever vertical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim1966

Registered
Reaction score
Hi fellow members

I am having difficulty trying to service the second stage regulators with service manual

At one point most will stress lever must be up vertical when servicing

For example on XTX40, the lever will move slightly when screwing the heat exchange nut on. Is there a way to holding it upright without stressing on the lever? Do want to know a proper way of doing it.

Also, while disassembling the XTX40, I always unscrew the left hand plastic too much and broke it manual says turn until it stops - but still can’t get the right idea of how much force to do. Is there a correct way to turn it?

Many thanks for your input

For me the old Apeks TX-ATX and XTX 2nds have a clear design flaw. The guiding of the barrel is much too weak (soft).
That's why you are only allowed to tighten the heat exchanger with ridicolous 3Nm-2,2lb/ft.
If anybody before has tightened it a bit too much, there is hardly any way to tighten the heat exchanger without turning the the barrel and the lever out of position, because the plastic is bent and there is simply too much space.
Normally you need a new case, but you will have easily the same problems........

Attachments

• XTX 2ND ST.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
You have to hold the barrel tight.
I am surprised that the 40 series now has heat exchanger.
I always lubricate the venturi lever before installing.

If you buy a set of spark plug gauges that use thin leaves of steel, when you torque the heat sink nut you can use the thickest possible leaf to take up the microscopic gap between the flats on the barrel of the reg and the plastic boss that supposedly (but poorly) engages it.
If you place the leaf on the side the flat will be turning toward when you tighten the nut, the barrel will remain immobile and the lever vertical.

Screenshot_20240224_112404.jpg

Just one more reason that Apeks is no longer on my tech regulator list. XL4 and MTX-RC are even flimsier.

If you buy a set of spark plug gauges that use thin leaves of steel, when you torque the heat sink nut you can use the thickest possible leaf to take up the microscopic gap between the flats on the barrel of the reg and the plastic boss that supposedly (but poorly) engages it.
If you place the leaf on the side the flat will be turning toward when you tighten the nut, the barrel will remain immobile and the lever vertical.

View attachment 828500

Just one more reason that Apeks is no longer on my tech regulator list. XL4 and MTX-RC are even flimsier.

i see, thanks for your sharing your experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom