Q:polycarbonate lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svidlano

Contributor
Reaction score
I have recently bought Scubapro Freedom mask. I am very pleased with it. Great visibility. Perfect fit. No leakage (and I have a moustache + beard).

One thing that bothers me is material lenses are made of.
What are yours experiences regarding PC lenses?

I suspect them to be prone to scratching (but not sure).
For now I'm extra careful with them.

Thx, Sanjin

Photography ports are made of plexiglas because the refractive index of the plastic is effectively the same as seawater. If it gets scratched simply rub the surface to remove the micro bubbles from the scratch and it'll magically disappear! I haven't checked the refractive index of the mask lens but it should be similar.

BTW impact safety glass lenses are made from polycarbonate. It'll stop flying debris cold, and bullet proof "glass" is often polycarbonate. Fighter plane cockpit bubbles designed to stop .50BMG projectiles are generally made from plycarbonate.

FT

Is this the same polycarbonate material that is used in the masks found in the pool toys aisle. One set has "polycarbonate lens" marked on the lens of the mask and is a little more expensive than the kids mask but not much.
Ber :bunny:

For the past 5 years or so I've had custom-ground lenses from Seavision that are poly C lenses. The only reason I changed two years ago was a change in the prescription....

Frankly, ANY lenses will scratch if mistreated, the poly C's are just less forgiving than tempered glass. Ask anyone who wears glasses every day (like me); you'll probably get a similar answer.

IOW, if you take good care of them, you'll have no worries.

~SubMariner~

Hi I've just bought a scubapro freedom mask andI'm a bit confused (no change there) Do you treat these masks like ordinary ones before use ie. use toothpaste on the inside before the first use? Or will that destroy it's mystical non fogging properties?

cymru_cowboy once bubbled...
Hi I've just bought a scubapro freedom mask andI'm a bit confused (no change there) Do you treat these masks like ordinary ones before use ie. use toothpaste on the inside before the first use? Or will that destroy it's mystical non fogging properties?

I just got a pair of non-fogging lenses for wife's SP focus. Instructions say do not use any abrasive or solvent cleaners as they will scratch or damage the finish. Clean only with liquid detergent (like baby shampoo).

Has a new polycarb. mask the AquaLung Sphere...nice curved lenses 180 degree field of view and clears in a "snort".:D

They make a specific defog with no abrasives for the mask (yeah, yeah seems like an up-sale but when I felt the lenses it made good sense). Toothpaste will scratch it all up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom