Q & A for Suunto Diving Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd PM Tobin (cool hardware here, Deep Sea Supply), or repost in DIY.

I didn't find Tobin helpful.

I had read the instructions that DSS had posted on its website about soaking the compass in hot water, and assumed I could use them, but once I got the compass I needed clarification. So I sent him an email, which read:

How hot (degrees F) should the water be to soak the compass in to ease removal?

Soak the entire compass under the hot water?

How long should I expect to soak it before the boot softens?

Thanks in advance.

He replied promptly (but unhelpfully):

We produce the replacement boot, we do not manufacture the OEM compass mount. If you have questions concerning goods that were made by Suunto I’d recommend contacting them.

Tobin

This was quite disappointing, particularly since I was asking him what his instructions meant (not Suunto's). I replied:

Thank you for the quick reply.

Your instructions for the replacement boot say that soaking in hot water will make it easier to remove the compass. I’m asking for clarification of what you said in your instructions. I can’t ask Suunto what you mean by “hot water.”

Thanks.

He never answered.

I just poured water from the hot water outlet into a bucket, and placed the entire compass in it. The water was about as hot as it gets right before most people will jump our of the shower screaming. I do not know how long it has been there, maybe a few minutes... I do not think it matters. At the risk of being obvious, the compass won't just jump out of the boot, and land on your lap. You need to take the screwdriver in your hand, accept the responsibility for the possible damage you are going to incur, and then get to business. Imagine that you have not eaten for 30 days, and that compass is the only food you are going to get. Be determined, be creative.

accept the responsibility for the possible damage you are going to incur, and then get to business.

I have the screwdriver!

I accept the responsibility!

But where do I insert the screwdriver?

The gray ring with numbers is attached to a black plastic ring, as you can see at the top of the picture. This plastic ring is inserted into the black rubbery boot shown on the left, and sits between the boot and the compass. That plastic ring has a collar, you can see it if you lift the gray ring with a screwdriver. The screwdriver goes in between the plastic ring collar and the boot, and helps to slide the gray ring along with the plastic ring it is attached to out of the boot, leaving only the compass inside. At this point, you grab a nail clipper and a pair of scissors, and you simulate a piranha attack on the boot, chipping away enough of it to slide the compass out...

IMG_0677.jpg

Thank you for your reply.

So, to make sure that I understand, what you are saying is to insert the blade of the screwdriver into the gap between the bezel (the gray ring with numbers) and the boot and pry the bezel out? (After soaking in hot water, of course.)

Yes, use it as a lever, but possibly not against the bezel itself, but against the black plastic ring it is attached to. The ring has a collar to press the screwdriver against. Zoom in on the picture, and see it for yourself. I'm assuming your compass looks like mine. The whole thing shown at the top of the picture should slide out of the boot, leaving only the compass inside. It will, of course resist, let that not discourage you. Just do not scratch the compass with the screwdriver, since that might leave it more prone to cracking under pressure.

I zoomed in on the pic. Did the screwdriver chew up the black ring a bit? I ask so I know what to expect.

I zoomed in on the pic. Did the screwdriver chew up the black ring a bit? I ask so I know what to expect.

There is always uncertainty in life, and it is important to become comfortable with it.

I will take that as a yes. There is less uncertainty and thus more comfort in life when people share their experience. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom