Purchasing own equipment online/lds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swan1172:
Wow! That does sound bad. Just out of curiosity, how did you get into the back area of the warehouse? Isn't that an employee only area?

When they first opened they were giving tours of the the scuba stuff and all the new gadgets they have. As the air fill was supposed to be a big thing for them, they were showing people what type of equipment it was and showing it off.

They were surprised at how much I knew about diving and offered me a job to train their employees.....I had only talked to the guy for 5 mins. and he already offered me a job....I couldnt believe it...:popcorn:

For the compressed air, I just grabbed that article real quick, I was going to edit and say something that it was the wrong article, but you beat me :wink:

Dive Right In Scuba:
When they first opened they were giving tours of the the scuba stuff and all the new gadgets they have. As the air fill was supposed to be a big thing for them, they were showing people what type of equipment it was and showing it off.

They were surprised at how much I knew about diving and offered me a job to train their employees.....I had only talked to the guy for 5 mins. and he already offered me a job....I couldnt believe it...:popcorn:

For the compressed air, I just grabbed that article real quick, I was going to edit and say something that it was the wrong article, but you beat me :wink:

That is pretty disturbing and is something that should be brought to their attention. I mean they were basically parading people around and showing-off how they fill tanks in an unsafe manner. Brilliant, simply brilliant. I am certainly glad you were there to see it and let all of us know.

All of this makes me wonder how often this kind of stuff goes on that we do not even see.

Yea no kidding, sometimes I wish there were air police to go around and check compressors that are used for professional use, go ahead and make sure all the people who clam to have O2 clean air really have their test results displayed, that sort of thing.

Gander Mt. Sells ATVs and services the ones that they sell with there warranty...

You should see some of the tanks that I get that, we had one that had a Vis done last year from a local shop, and always had the air filled there....They thought there was something wrong with the taste, we opened it up and there was all kinds of oil in it.....Took over 2 weeks and 25 hours to clean it for him......You should have seen his face when we showed it to him

That one still makes me shiver....these are reasons why 6 months ago we decided to open our own store

Twenty five hours to clean it, you are a ncie guy, if you charged by the hour, like I wish dive shops could than he would abeen better off with a new tank :)

OK, Gander is clueless about scuba and especially so about fill stations. They are brand new to this industry. Does that mean their procedures and policies and employees won't improve? And what does this have to do with the model for selling dive equipment?

Not that I was impressed with their equipment selection or prices. What I find interesting is the concept. Who knows, maybe next spring it will be LeisurePro partnering with Sports Chalet.

I agree it isnt a bad model.....and they could get better in time....but I remember when I used to work at Circuit City and we got paid on commision(over 8 years ago), I had the #1 audio department in the nation and we new everything about home audio and video with an extremely low turnover rate.....Now they pay by the hour, have a large turnover, and you cant get a straight answer or truth from most of the employees

Im not saying they wont do better, but to me, The smaller shops that need your business to survive, will always try to treat you better to keep you as a customer....at least I know we do....

The Lifetime parts warranty offered by many manufacturers is a silly smoke screen. 15-20 dollars,RETAIL price for a handful of orings , screens and seats. It still makes no fiscal sense to pay suggested retail prices for dive equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom