purchasing DUI suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manufacturer's can't effectively manage a brand pricing strategy from the bottom-up (wholesale)... this is where the dealer gets reamed and the product gets priced out of reach. There needs to be a top-down partnership that protects margin for the dealer.

Not true..... see below.

If manufacturers were to protect their brand (in this context, the pricer perception) by simply jacking up the cost, one of two things would happen:

1) dealer applies "reasonable" margin... and likely prices thing out of reach

2) dealer applies "competitive retail price" and possibly doesn't make enough to stay in biz.

How is it in the manufacturer's best interest to maintain the price-perception of their brand integrity by simply raising cost?

This misperception is that "cost" comes in only one form, that being a dollar amount paid by someone for a thing.

In reality, "cost" encompasses many things. The way a manufacturer protects their brand is by raising the soft costs associated with carrying their brand - this does two things:

1. It sets a "virtual floor" below which retailers cannot sell profitably. Therefore, the "cutthroat" game cannot be played.

2. It forces the provision of actual service to customers.

For example, in the instant case (drysuits) the requirement could be to (1) carry some amount of stock, (2) provide a certain number of rental suits in inventory, and (3) have an on-site means of demoing and fitting them (e.g. a pool) at the store. They could also insist that the dealer provide rental suits either at a deep discount or at no cost while warranty work was done.

This would drive up the "cost" of the suits to the dealer, and make cutthroat pricing impossible. It would also actually address the issue, which is the "blind order taker" mentality that pervades this part of the business, because you simply couldn't get a dealership without meeting the requirements.

Now the actual value would be there to match the "perception" that the manufacturer wishes to create.

This would amount to a "price support", but without breaking the law either in spirit or by letter.

In my retail experience, most premium brands (premium priced brands... read: the expensive stuff) have higher margins, too.

That's because most premium brand manufacturers actually insist on some measure of customer service and demand certain things - like display space devoted to the brand, employee training on the brand, a certain level of stocked product, etc - in order to get a deailership.

Instead of insisting on the provision of actual services to the customer, which creates real value, the manufacturers in this case turn to creating the sham of value by restraining price, instead of by insisting that certain parts of the customer experience - and thus the brand's value - are protected.

We're closer than I originally though we'd be on this.

We're moving towards "dealer profile requirements" and the role that plays in branding. Dealers who don't stock suck. Manufacturers that don't provide demo programs to enable dealers to cost effectively stock also suck. Some of us don't care and will buy on line... its all good. But we can agree there are inherent problems in the system.

I love this stuff and could go all night. :D

We're not nearly done, my friend. :wink: We'll pick this up another bat time in another bat thread. Its been nice. I've wanted to go down this road with you for awhile.

K

Great reading guys. Please do not stop. I am sure this is an issue many people have thought about. Thank you for 2 intelligent points of view.=-)

Well I flat out asked for the Keyman deal on the DUI suit and got the OK. The reality is I have to wait to buy the suit bcs my closet system exploded in my condo - and my wife will kill me if I throw down on a dry suit right now. But, what kills me is that my local shop owner said, in the due course of our conversation, "your gonna take the IDC in the Spring Right?" "I said yeah sure planning to blah blah - if the market turns around re: $$" I feel like I am being sucked dry. I have every intention to play along and continue to DM and get the suit. But to say yes and then to then hit me up immediatly looking for me to jump into the Instructor programm. pisses me off. I was not put on this earth to pay his %@#^#*&#) rent!

Frustrated

Vin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom