purchasing DUI suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you work with students or in some other public function you may qualify for key man program. Ask shop owner. He may be unable to discount but he can sponsor you if he wishes to do so.

Here I thought the LDS was doing me a good turn by discounting a DUI suit down to 20%, when we were looking to buy 4 !!!

Seems like a conversation with the LDS is in order. :fury:

-Tim

How is it I know what you mean?

Got the T-shirt on that one.

Kinda P's you off doesn't it?

... that the price-fixing policy allows.

Thus, you got nothing, especially on a 4-suit purchase.

And I find that we consistently agree 100% on the keyman / DiveCon / Swimming Billboard issue. I wear your gear (often paying for your gear) and you make cash off of me? Bite Me.

And we still consistently disagree on your fast and loose use of the term Price Fixing at the abject ignorance of any branding considerations.

On about everything else, we're batting probably .750! And that's not too shabby.

Rock on you nut. I got nothing but love for you.

K

Well, it IS price-fixing.

Mandating a price "floor" is, indeed, the fixing of a price, is it not? :)

not only will DUI warranty their suits to the original owners they will warranty them to second hand owners as well. I have never known a company that would warranty their products better than DUI

Julie

Genesis once bubbled...
Well, it IS price-fixing.

Mandating a price "floor" is, indeed, the fixing of a price, is it not? :)

You're saavy enough to understand the intent of Robinson-Packman Fair Pricing act - the whole manufacturers can't TELL retailers what price they must sell at. BUT - there is (albeit a blurry) line where branding takes over.... and as we all know, manufacturers often use a premium pricing strategy to help define their brand (Atomic is good at this in the SCUBA area, Yamaha in CE... and many other examples exsist)

If dealers start discounting DUI, Atomic (or any other premium brand) which has defined or deemed a high-end pricing strategy as important to their image and brand essence as their logo, their name, their advertising, their color scheme, their packaging (Atomic has beautiful boxes) that dealer (in this case, an LDS) can do irreparable harm to the brand.

Surely we can agree the Brand has a right to protect itself from such harm. And as such, cancel or reject a dealer's authorization status based on them not following these branding guidelines.

It'd harm the brand as much as putting funky no-name parts into a repaired reg or BC... The manufacturer has the right to protect its brand by insisting its stuff sell between XX and XX, and insist its products only be serviced with parts it has approved.

Do I think it sucks you can't walk into a shop and grind for a discount on some stuff? Uh, Ok. I'm a firm believer that the best grinders get the best deals. I'm a grinder. I get good deals. My wife is not - she rolls in and pays full boat. But on some products there simply isn't a negotiation on price... it'll kill the brand. I'm OK with that because, as you and I both know... we'll always find SOMEONE to get it to us for the price we want to pay.

I don't get how this is price fixing. Unless I just whiffed on your price fixing "issues..."

The other .750 we're cool on :D

K

If dealers start discounting DUI, Atomic (or any other premium brand) which has defined or deemed a high-end pricing strategy as important to their image and brand essence as their logo, their name, their advertising, their color scheme, their packaging (Atomic has beautiful boxes) that dealer (in this case, an LDS) can do irreparable harm to the brand.

And the manufactuer can control that by controlling the price at which they sell to their dealers.

If indeed such a thing was to happen, the manufacturer could raise its wholesale prices.

The manufacturer, therefore, already has the most effective "lever" to keep this from happening - they have absolute control over what THEY sell the product for.

Surely we can agree the Brand has a right to protect itself from such harm. And as such, cancel or reject a dealer's authorization status based on them not following these branding guidelines.

That depends on what "branding guidelines" are. To the extent that they address customer perception of value through service and selection, certainly.

It'd harm the brand as much as putting funky no-name parts into a repaired reg or BC... The manufacturer has the right to protect its brand by insisting its stuff sell between XX and XX

No. Not according to federal law anyway (its the Sherman and Clayton acts, by the way.)

, and insist its products only be serviced with parts it has approved.

No again. Magnuson-Moss prohibits this, and further prohibits the conditioning of warranties on the use of "original" or "branded" parts unless all such parts (and services to install them, if the parts are restricted in distribution!) are provided at no charge for the entire duration of any warranty upon which their use is conditioned.

The manufacturer's legitimate interest in seeing the brand not sold at a stupidly-low price has the most effective means of controlling that available to them without price-fixing, which can neither be circumvented nor does it raise legal questions - they have absolute control over their wholesale pricing.

before the nice SB reader's domes bounce off their monitor!

The R-P was only in reference to manufacturers "controlling" pricing at retail. Of course its Song-Beverly / Magnuson-Moss on the warranty side - I should have clarified. And that you agree is squshy, too - "like" parts and "comparable" parts... its enough to make a rational guy just gag.

Anyway - I'm starting to see our disconnect. Its like that cartoon of the two railways finally connecting after crossing the vast landscape, only to find one of the two rails meet in the inside while the other two rails pass on by. We're in near agreement on the center rail, but you toss on Service and Selection into your pricing discussion, and I toss on Brand essence.

Manufacturer's can't effectively manage a brand pricing strategy from the bottom-up (wholesale)... this is where the dealer gets reamed and the product gets priced out of reach. There needs to be a top-down partnership that protects margin for the dealer.

If manufacturers were to protect their brand (in this context, the pricer perception) by simply jacking up the cost, one of two things would happen:

1) dealer applies "reasonable" margin... and likely prices thing out of reach

2) dealer applies "competitive retail price" and possibly doesn't make enough to stay in biz.

How is it in the manufacturer's best interest to maintain the price-perception of their brand integrity by simply raising cost? In my retail experience, most premium brands (premium priced brands... read: the expensive stuff) have higher margins, too.

K

PS: maybe one more round, then we go somewhere else to discuss... agreed? This thread isn't the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom