purchasing DUI suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if the DUI TLS 350 @ 1695 is 100% make up, and I am a not so active DM for my local shop- but have dropped approx 5K in the past 2 years. What is a reasonable bottem line?

I respect that the shop can't give the suit away and I'd rather support the local guy- but at what point do I walk away?

Vin

pretty much just for asking in a lot of places.

Beyond that you run into the DUI "price fixing" policy, but if you're a DM you should be able to get keyman pricing, which should drop it to just a couple hundred bucks over cost, if that much.

Where are you located?

So $1271. is approx 25% off 1695. Does that sound resonable?

still seems steep to me if there is a 100% mark up.

vin

Remember, a 25% discount from list is a 50% markup from cost, so he's giving up, effectively, half his margin.

Yes, that's still a lot if you're a DM. There is no reason on God's Green Earth that you should give your DM services to a shop that won't vouch for you so you can get Keyman pricing on ANYTHING YOU WILL USE WHILE DM'ING. You're a walking (or swimming, as the case may be) billboard for the shop, and for them to expect you to give them PROFIT on those sales so you can shill for them is well beyond outrageous conduct.

Keyman is typically right near or at cost, but it requires a letter from the dealer on their letterhead authorizing it, and not all manufacturers have that program. DUI does however.

If your shop is not only (ab)using you as a DM but is also expecting you to pay retail prices for gear, you need to find a different shop to DM for.

That's outrageous.

BTW, Rex Dive will give you that price or something real close to it just for the asking. They list suits on eBAY all the time - look for the new DUI ads and click through to them, and then just give them a call. They usually include fins with the deal but that can be worked around if you don't need new fins (most people do if they haven't had a drysuit before, but if you are replacing an existing suit this obviously doesn't apply.) Rex is an authorized dealer - I've checked with DUI on that. The only reason they didn't get my biz on my TLS350 is that a somewhat-local shop actually gave me this thing called "service" that is usually lacking in the dive shop environment - so I rewarded them with the bizness!

be aware that their prices are no better than DUIs, unless you need a custom cut.

I heard this a lot - that DUI is just way too damn expensive for what you get. Well, that may be true for their "special production" suits (note - DUI does NOT make a truly custom suit - they take your measurements and match that against a set of stock pattern sizes for the various parts of the suit to come up with a "best fit"), but it defniitely is not for their stock, rack-size suits.

When you look at the other premium-quality suits, DUI's rack stuff is pretty reasonable in price. They're neither the cheapest nor most expensive. The quotes I received on Andys, Diving Concepts, Pinnacle and a handful of others were all in the same general range as DUI, with several of them significantly MORE expensive at the actual final price to me, the consumer, than the DUI was.

A big part of this is that many of the other brands are not discounted at all, but the shops also don't carry any stock!

And every single one of these "other vendors" representatives (the shops) tried the line that their suits were "more economical" compared to DUI.

Huh? Pinnacle's and Diving Concept's offerings, all up, were significantly (by $200 up to $700!) MORE expensive than the DUI stock suits (TLS350/CLX450/CF200 lines) for equivalent material choices.

Oh sure, there were cheaper suits from all these lines, but then again DUI has that too in the "SE" series of suits - the savings being, primarily, a back zip rather than over-the-shoulder.

The problem with back zips is that they can restrict movement of the arms and shoulders, they're easily damaged if you do not have a zip cover (and few entry-level suits do) by your harness and, of course, they really ought to be operated by someone other than the wearer, lest you catch something in them or put a lateral stress on them and screw 'em up. They ARE, however, much cheaper than the longer over-the-shoulder design.

Where DUI does screw you is with things like accessory pockets. The solution to that is to not buy them from DUI; FifthD has nice bellows pockets for cheap ($30) and you can glue them on yourself, or if you can deal with the possible laughter from dive buddies, get a pair of their "shorts" with the attached pockets and leave the suit alone. Ditto for things like a pee valve - put in your own. DUI seems to think that $120 is a reasonable price for a pocket. I think the Longs have had too many hits off the crack pipe on the accessories.

But their stock size suits are a pretty decent value for what you get, and frankly, other than a pee valve (for men of course) what else do you really need from them? Besides, if you want pockets on the suit, would you not want to put the suit on and then place them yourself so you know that you can get to everything inside and they're where you want them? Not possible if you have it done at the factory.

Genisis,

Thanks for the feed back. I agree- All I do is plug these guys. Granted the shop has been giving me air for 2 years, but I have been plugging them from the getgo. I will ask the question - how do I get a keyman deal from DUI- what is the ball park that you think I should expect to pay? I'll also check out REX on e-bay.
All I need is the stock large- w/ no add ons. With the exception of a leaky valve - its a great fit.

Vin

....and if I was shilling for someone, I would not pay a penny more than that.

If they wanted me to be a swimming billboard for them, and then demanded to make money on me besides, they could bite me.

Vin once bubbled...
I hear you loud and clear. I am still trying to figure out why my shop is selling the TLS 350 for 1695 and change and I can get it from divers dicount (who say they are registered with DUI) for 300 less? I know the suit fits, I have problems with the valve... but what do I have to loose?

I think all I can do is tell my guy at the local shop - give him the skinny and then If he can't meet the price buy it off the divers dicount web site......what do you do? I am Dive Master Certd with these guys - they are pals of mine ... but 3 bills is 3 bills???

thoughts?

Vin

also make sure you compare apples to apples..

different dealers package drysuits with different options..
what under garments, polar tec or thinsulate or none , what booties polar tec or thinsulate, or none..

also if you assist them with classes you might be eligable for a keyman discount.. contact dui.. Keyman is 50% of list (this is no secret) You pay DUI directly your local LDS measures you and recives the suit and gets 10 or 15% (I dont remember), The keyman price is less than dealer cost..

You can get a new suit every 2 or 3 years (dont remember exactly) and you agree not to sell the suit before this period is up

Any Idea what the list is for the TLS 350?

Back
Top Bottom