Pulau Weh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Our trip was amazing and it was the best diving I've ever experienced!
We did dive with Lumba Lumba and stayed two extra days as we just couldn't pull ourselves away.
On the mornings we didn't dive, we could just walk out and start snorkeling right off the shore and that was fantastic complete with seeing the four resident turtles every day!

We also rented a motor bike and explored a bit of the island, including Ipioh Beach and Rupiah Divers and the zero KM sunset tip of the island.
Personally, I much perferred Gapang Beach over Ipioh, but each person will have a preference, I'm sure.

In Gapang, you don't have to go on a path through the jungle dodging crazy monkeys and getting eaten alive by mossies, that for me was enough reason!
Ipioh seems to have a younger 'backpacker' type crowd that is more intersted in partying, sitting around drinking and smoking where most of the people I met on Gapang were there for diving. I think it's mainly an age/income diffference.
A few years ago...you would've found me happily in Ipioh!

We had to be creative with the visa situation here in NYC, so if you'd like information on that, please PM me, but let's just say it all worked out 24 hours before we were set to leave!

Overall, it took forever to get there, but if I could go there again, I'd be on a plane tomorrow!

One of my favorite places EVER and we really loved the Indonesians!!!

GO!!!

Thanks for the info Travelher, glad it was a good trip. Other than the turtles, what were some of the underwater highlights? What big and small stuff did you see?

Thanks for the info Travelher, glad it was a good trip. Other than the turtles, what were some of the underwater highlights? What big and small stuff did you see?

and where to eat, what to do on the surface? Where did you stay? in the new place built by Lumbalumba?

Ah, the fish, so many everywhere you look.
I'll just look at the log book for 6 dives, including one night dive:

lionfish, giant moray eels, barracuda, white tipped shark, box fish, star fish, black/white spotted eel, octupus, nudie branch, honey comb moray, bat fish, harlequin group, peacock grouper, clown tirggerfish, tuna, giant napolean, scorpion fish, giant boxfish, angel fish, palette surgeon fish, lined surgeon fish, black tipped reef shark, clown fish, giant clams, devil ray, eagle ray, manta ray, blue spotted eagle ray, cow fish, parrot fish, mantas shrimp, shrimp dancer, giant box crab, banded cleaner shrimp.

I know that there are more I missed!

We stayed at the new bungalows of Lumba Lumba--they are very nice, but they don't have mossie nets and at that time no place to hang one. That was the only thing I didn't like b/c there is malaria on the island and I brought a really good one and couldn't use it b/c I would've had to nail into their walls.
Ton, one of the Dutch owners, was working on putting something up, but I don't know when that would be happening. You should check.
Otherwise, I would highly recommend staying there--just reserve early b/c there are not too many and they are in high demand.

It's nice to be so close to the dive shop and hang out with everyone. Plus, you can use their kitchen and get cold drinks, beer, etc. right from there.

There are only 4-5 restos on the beach, plus one at the top of the hill. Most were about the same type of menu, mostly Indonesia, with a little western thrown in (do not try the spaghetti).
We usually ate egg sandwiches from the place right next door, they have good bread and it's easy for your morning dives.

In the afternoon and evening, we would walk down a bit to the other restos and do fried rice/noodles, fruit, veggies. There's not a lot of variety, but some places make great curries.

Also, go to Mama Jungle one night, ask Lumba Lumba how to do this, b/c you need to tell her in advance. That was the best food by far!!!

It's all cheap, very good quality.

On the surface...walk, read, talk to other divers, look at the sea, eat donuts from the donut lady, hang out with the Indonesians--that is the most fun, they are so nice and just want to talk and have fun.

I want to go back NOW!!!

You should go, for sure, it's well worth the long journey!

I plan on going here in March...sounds amazing. Fortunately I live in BKK so it's not too far. I will fly to KL and spend the night then in the morning take the new Airasia flight to Aceh. Spend a week or so diving and exploring. Are there any other great dive sites nearby? or at least easily and inexpensively reached via Aceh or KL?

I plan on going here in March...sounds amazing. Fortunately I live in BKK so it's not too far. I will fly to KL and spend the night then in the morning take the new Airasia flight to Aceh. Spend a week or so diving and exploring. Are there any other great dive sites nearby? or at least easily and inexpensively reached via Aceh or KL?

Not really. In Sumatra, apart from Pulau Weh, there are the Mentawai islands (off Padang, West Sumatra) and Lampung/Krakatau. But it's definitely not what one could call 'nearby'.

I don't know about the Malaysian side though, there might be dive sites that are closer!?

Does anybody know which person at Rubiah speaks english best and what is the best time to call? I noticed that they have an office phone number and 2 mobile numbers anybody know which number I should try first? Thanks, -Andy

Does anybody know which person at Rubiah speaks english best and what is the best time to call? I noticed that they have an office phone number and 2 mobile numbers anybody know which number I should try first? Thanks, -Andy

I'd say it's Ismayudi though his English is definitely not the best. Best time to call should be late afternoon/evening since Ismayudi is often on the boat during the day (local time is GMT +7). Try the landline and Ismayudi's phone number (+62 812 8436308), don't know which numbers you've got already.

I exchanged a couple of SMS/text with Ismayudi a few days ago, they do have problems with their Internet connection but he said he had received some emails on his email account so I hope you were lucky!?

PS: If I can assist with relaying questions or anything else, I'd be happy to do so, just let me know!
Mmmmmh....... how about sending me there to do a thorough assessment of how things are there at the moment, especially underwater!!??? :D:D

I'd say it's Ismayudi though his English is definitely not the best. Best time to call should be late afternoon/evening since Ismayudi is often on the boat during the day (local time is GMT +7). Try the landline and Ismayudi's phone number (+62 812 8436308), don't know which numbers you've got already.

I exchanged a couple of SMS/text with Ismayudi a few days ago, they do have problems with their Internet connection but he said he had received some emails on his email account so I hope you were lucky!?

PS: If I can assist with relaying questions or anything else, I'd be happy to do so, just let me know!
Mmmmmh....... how about sending me there to do a thorough assessment of how things are there at the moment, especially underwater!!??? :D:D

Hi KF, thanks very much for the info, as they say in NYC, "you're the goods". I will try Ismayudi's cell. I sent him an email and received a reply. His english was good enough, but I think he misunderstood something I wrote, should be easy enough to sort out on the phone.

Are you going to Weh anytime soon? -Andy

Back
Top Bottom