Pulau Weh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you going to Weh anytime soon? -Andy

I would love to!
I just decided to start an online logbook for my dives, so over the last weekend I entered the details about my dives into that logbook - in the category of visibility of 35 m + (100 ft +), there's only dives of Pulau Weh!!

But I'm not complaining - I might have the chance to dive the volcano Krakatau next weekend, but not sure yet.
Beginning of March, I'll have to go to Bali, for work (poor girl, she has to go to Bali :wink:), and I'm planning to stay a few extra days and do some diving.:D

But I will go back to Pulau Weh, one day.....:lotsalove:

definitely do the Krakatau dives. The reef there is beautiful!! It is also unlikely that you will be bumping into any other divers except from your own boat.

Does anyone know if there are any accomodations with a/c in Ipioh? As of now, I have only been able to get in contact with Rubiah, so it looks like we will dive with them. Lumba ahs not replied to my emails and their voicemail box is full...

How far apart are Ipioh and Gapang? Which place has more restaurants?

Does anyone know if there are any accomodations with a/c in Ipioh? As of now, I have only been able to get in contact with Rubiah, so it looks like we will dive with them. Lumba ahs not replied to my emails and their voicemail box is full...

How far apart are Ipioh and Gapang? Which place has more restaurants?

Unless it has changed since May 07, you won't find any accommodation with-air con in Iboih. All the guesthouses are basic standard.

It takes around 20 minutes by ojek (motorbike-taxi), beautiful trip through the jungle. There is one place where you have always monkeys on the trees next to the road and on the road.

We stayed in the new bungalows at Lumba Lumba and only had fan, which was fine for us.
Gapang Beach is (a bit) higher end than Ibioh which is much more basic and on a true backpacker budget. I didn't see anything that would've been A/C in that Village.

There were a few bungalows up the hill on Gapang that had A/C units but no one seemed to be staying there so I don't know if they were working or not.

Ibioh has a few more restaurants than Gapang, but only a few more.

Have you lucky people who have been to Weh have taken malaria tablets when you went ?

I am going with my girlfriend (to lumba2) in a month or so and we're wondering ...

Cheers.
Jim.

Have you lucky people who have been to Weh have taken malaria tablets when you went ?

I am going with my girlfriend (to lumba2) in a month or so and we're wondering ...

Cheers.
Jim.

Hello Jim, first find out what the locals do and how many have got it. If there are many who are sick, then you can easily be infected by having a mosquito bite you after biting somebody who has malaria. I haven't been to Weh yet, but barring a recent drastic rate of malaria increase, and local people recomending a particular med, I wouldn't bother.

Because new strains of malaria are constantly evolving-thanks to mother nature's plan-it's quite possible that even with a prophalaxis, you could get it.

And so an once of prevtion is worth a pound of cure. Make sure you have a net over your bed, strong repellent, long pants and sleves and stay indoors after sunset as much as possible.

Several medicines claim to have mild or no side effects, but that all depends on what your definition of mild is. For me, any GI distress is too much to deal with in the tropics, where new foods tend to wreak havoc on the guts, without any extra help...

Cheers.
Jim.

Strictly medically speaking you should take malaria prophylaxis when travelling to Pulau Weh since it is classified as "highly endemic" (in contrast to Aceh which has a low endemicity) regarding the so-called tropical malaria (P. falciparum). It's true that prophylaxis cannot prevent malaria 100%, but the attack will be much less serious.

You also should take into consideration the location. I'm far from wanting to scare you, but if really you catch it and develop a serious malaria, it might become a bit difficult to get you from Gapang to a proper hospital in time (KL or Singapore).

Unfortunately, this is one of the few cases where it is not such a good idea to copy the locals, they never take any prophylaxis when they are in their habitual area. And they might have the parasites in the blood without being sick (which then might be transmitted).

Said that, there is also "reality". And I admit, when I was in Pulau Weh, I did not take any prophylaxis.
At the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself.

Other preventive measures, as listed by silent_running, are obviously as important as the prophylaxis itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom