Pulau Weh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallboy, why don't you contactt yourself lumbalumba, they will be very prompt to answer your questions.
You can PM me also with your questions as I know very well the pace and will return for a 2 weeks trip (3rd time this year) end of nov, beginning of dec. Well it's quite easy for me to get there as I live in Bangkok.

Hello fabdive, can you tell me what is the quickest route to Weh from Bangkok? -Thanks, Andy

go Bangkok-Jakarta via Garuda/Thai or one of the dodgier a/l...

from there, you can go Jak-Medan via Garuda, then Medan-Banda Aceh (capital of Aceh province); then you need to get a taxi to the port (Ullee Lheue, sp?).

BKK - KUL - BTJ or BKK - PEN - ferry - BTJ

hi andy,

"Live in sin" is right shortest way now is BKK-KUL then KUL-BTJ with air asia. If the flight from Bangkok is late it might be tricky to connect in KL, I will be trying this connection end of November and let you know.
Then in Banda aceh ferry is at 4pm from Uhleuleu, easy to get to the pier from the airport if you say to the taxi driver that you want to to Pulau Weh or Sabang (the main town in Pulau Weh)
After 45min ferry ride you'll arrive in Balohan the pier in Pulau Weh and it's roughly an hour taxi ride to Gapang Beach. If shared with other traveller it's 50000Rp per head but if nobody else is going there you'll have to charter a car or minibus and it can cost anything between 120000 to 150000Rp.

Hey Hallboy,

Leguna's bungalow are wooden and start now to be a bit run down but it's a cheaper alternative to lumba lumba brand new bungalow. The drawback of leguna is that it's 5/10 min walk to the beach and the diveshop which could be pain in the arm with a heavy camera set up.
About day trip to Rondo and Rice island. In the past years I've been twice to Rondo, some part are heavily destroyed by dynamite fishing, some other parts are nice but nthing special compared with Pulau Weh so I think it's really worth the 1H15 min trip to get there. Abut Rice island, never dived there, but from reports of people that been there, smae story that rondo, it's not really worth the trip I think. To summarize, the diversity and density of life is so stunning at the dive sites around PUlau Weh, than you can dive there on and on for many days and see every time something new.
Usually lumba makes 2 boat dives a day, one in the morning and one inthe afternoon, if there is a big group of divers very keen, possible to organize 2 morning tanks and one aftrnoon. But anothe roption that I prefer is 2 boats dives and a beach dive before, after or in between. Beach dives are so convenient, starting 10m from the dive shop and a lot of critters for photographers, lately I spotted frog fish, sea moth, ghost pipes and the elusive mimic octopus.

Mid March viz should be good, generally speaking it's most of the time at least 15m over there and is often much more. Mantas are more or less all the time around however it's hard to predict if you'll spot some mid March on a week long stay, that's diving.

Silent Running,

I'm flying to Pulau Weh from NYC in 2 weeks.
I am taking the flight from KL to Banda Aceh and then catching the 4pm ferry.

Coming from BKK, it could be very tight to get there in one day as the earliest flight on AirAsia leaves 7:10am arriving KL at 10:15am
The connection to Banda Aceh leaves at 11:55am.
It's a tight squeeze, but you might be able to make it--only if you are flying into the low-cost airport in KL. If you fly into KLIA, I don't think it's possible to make this connection (neither Thai/Malaysia airlines flights from BKK will get you to KL in time even if it was the same airport so this is not really a concern).
Remember, because Air Asia is a point-to-point carrier, you have to go through immigration and customs before RE-entering to check in for the flight to Banda Aceh.

Also be aware that the direct flights from KL to Banda Aceh only depart on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday.
If you missed your connection to Banda Aceh it would put you staying in KL for more than one night since they do not leave every day.

If you are not a risk taker, it might be best to get the later flight from BKK-KL, find a cheap GH and catch the flight to Banda Aceh in the morning.
I'm a risk taker, so I'd probably try my luck with the connection--but definitely not check baggage!

Good luck! probably you will make it. As Air Asia has domino pizza-like promotion "if the flight delays more than 30 mins they will refund you!" (well at least it was stated in the inflight mag. when we went to Sipadan in Sep.) but bet they add extra 30 minutes to announced flying time!??? Both ways, departed on time and arrived 30 mins earlier than scheduled arrival!!
anyway, Enjoy diving in Pl. Weh!

Do you need Malaysian money to take a bus from the international airport to the part where Air Asia is taking off?
How much Euros do i ha ve to change for the taxi to the ferry; the ferry plus the taxi to sabang?
IS it better to change money in Sabang? In Banda Aceh? in Europe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom