Pulau Weh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTD is owned by an Indonesian, Lumba Lumba by a Dutch. I heard from fellow divers that this would indeed make a difference. I chose RTD for a few reasons, one of them being that the dive shop was owned by a local guy. And I would go back there anytime. (have never dived with Lumba Lumba though)

From Thailand directly to Aceh - AFAIK, it's not possible.
What might come closest, is this info that I came across last week in a travel forum:

Thanks for the info kf, good to know who owns what.

It's kind of annoying that Thailand is so close as I was thinking of doing some wreck diving in the Gulf Thailand and it would've been nice not to have to fly to somewhere else inbetween Weh and Southern Thailand. But I'm pleased to hear about the new direct air service from KL.

Does anybody have experience with Air Asia? How reliable are their schedules and planes? Do they weigh carryon bags for short hop flights?

Hello there, we plan to spend a week at Pulau Weh from 6 to 13 Nov 2007. Going in with Air Asia's inaugural flight to Bandar Acheh (the jump off point for the island) on 6th Nov. Cheap return fares from Kuala Lumpur/Bandar Acheh (before 14 October 2007), are currently priced at around RM202 which is approximately US$60 at current exchange rates. There are two established dive operators on the island, one of which is Lumba Lumba owned by a Dutch couple and which is a more professionally operated operator, as we understand.

Anybody else wanna join us, email us for more information

Does anybody have experience with Air Asia? How reliable are their schedules and planes? Do they weigh carryon bags for short hop flights?

Hi, Air asia is a budget airline base in Malaysia. As with most of the budget airlines, their seats tend to be a little more cramp than the normal airlines, as a result of trying to squeeze in an additional row or two of seats. Their planes however are all new airbus A320 (?). They have phased out the last of their leased old planes recently. The last few times I flew with them there were not much delays. However I have heard otherwise. Just make sure you allow more time for connecting flights.

They never weigh my carry-ons the few times I flew with them. However, they are very particular on the 15 kg limit of the check-in luggage. Once I was over weight by about 1 kg or so and have to remove my reg set from the check-in luggage and hand carry them.

I am also taking advantage of their inaugaral flight offer to Bandar Aceh. Will be there next March. Their offer ends 14th Oct for flights up to June 2008. Check out their web site Welcome to AirAsia.com...now everyone can fly...

gapang seems also more vivid than Iboh, but maybe i m wrong.
This is definitely the case.

I don't crae to go to any sharaton , but after 3 dives a day, hot water and AC are not luxury. Its posssible in gapang, in Iboh i dont know.
You won't find that in Iboih...

About Rubia: they seems to make day trips farest than Lumbalumba: am i wrong? Or do they go to the same spots any way.?
They make quite far trips to the Western part of the island, places that are further away from Gapang than Iboih, no idea though if Lumba Lumba goes there as well.

Air Asia also do not book seats, you will get a ticket and then have to fight for your seat with the other passengers.

You can from Thailand to Singapore-Medan-BA also (via Silkair to Medan and then Garuda to BA).

RT is very much a localised operation, getting contact with the operators may be hard at times.

LL is a much larger dive centre and there is usually a bevvy of European dive bums living in/or near the centre, all of whom spend months there at a time and take the best beach bungalows. Despite that, most of them develop very good local knowledge and are good fun to dive with; additionally, the Acehnese DM's are good people too and also have great local knowledge.

Security wise, the area is pretty safe, the civil war has been at a truce since August 2005, although there is a chance the situation will deteriorate again within the next few years.

The diving ranges from average to spectacular, conditions will dictate, i saw a solid 2m black blotched ray, which swam beneath me and figure 8'ed for approx 10 mins, truly mindblowing.

It's simple and facilities are basic, but it is an adventure worth doing, good luck.

Hi,

I will be diving with Lumba Lumba the week of Nov. 12th. They were very prompt in replying to my inquiry and gave me loads of information via email.
I am on a very short holiday and want to sort everything out in advance so I don't waste time when I arrive.
When I arrive I want to DIVE!

However, I know that the two villages have very different feel to them, so perhaps I do 1/2 my diving with one operation and then move to the other village and dive with Rupiah.

I'll post back after the trip and let everyone know how it was.

Oh, and I'm going there via the new Air Asia flight direct from KL to Banda Aceh for only $33 USD!!! Yeah!!!

Ill be ther in march: be ready to a flood of questions/
Gapang or Iboh? Rupiah or Lumbalumba? Where to sleeep: Leguna resort? Where to eat? how to go from the airport to the Ferry? What about day trips to Rondo or rice islands? Who to make 3 or 4 dives a day? Etc etc

:wink:
Maybe you coul send me a copy of your mails from lumba2 by PM ?

Hallboy, why don't you contactt yourself lumbalumba, they will be very prompt to answer your questions.
You can PM me also with your questions as I know very well the pace and will return for a 2 weeks trip (3rd time this year) end of nov, beginning of dec. Well it's quite easy for me to get there as I live in Bangkok.

I did; and they replied but not very quickly: with the opening of Air Asia ;it seems that they recieve A LOT of mails; + things are different from a dive op or a customer point of view. About accomodations for exemple; they are building their own, so ( i dont care much if it cost 5 more $ a day )it 's hard to know if for exemple Leguna wich are wooden bungalows for what i' ve seen on pictures is ok or a little bit run down.
As you are here, Fabdive: is that interesting to go on a day trip to Rice or Rondo island? If i want to make 3 dives a day, how is that organised? double tank in the morning + an afternoon dive?
Mid march, how is the VIZ: 15 meters? more less?
is it still possible to see manatas at that moment?

Back
Top Bottom