PST, Worthington or Asahi... What am I getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Yeah but they're just so ridiculously frikkin' huge!
I'm also ~5'10" so that could come into play. I've used double 95s before and they trimmed out perfectly. I'm going to attempt to try some 130s after a bit to see how they do. It's also a matter of $$, too.

Don't bother with an exemption series tank, who needs the possible hassle down the road? History shows that EVERY cylinder company has gone thru many ownership and corporate changes (even those with the same name now), there are cylinders that have left the owners OOA, why throw a exemption certification in the mix?

Get 108's/104's

cerich:
do you remember what regs they were? Old or new?

I haven't seen any in years

Either Mares or USD, I can't remember. And they were FAR from new.

SparticleBrane:
Yeah but they're just so ridiculously frikkin' huge!
I'm also ~5'10" so that could come into play. I've used double 95s before and they trimmed out perfectly. I'm going to attempt to try some 130s after a bit to see how they do. It's also a matter of $$, too.

You think those are big? Try some 121s! That's what I am thinking of hauling around. But I may just go with the 108s instead.

Yeah, but you're a good bit taller than I am, yes?

My wife has one Asahi and one PST HP100. They're both fine - some slight differences, but nothing major.
I have Fabers and new Worthingtons LP85's. Both great. People get too hung up this tank stuff. Even if you have an old Faber with a little exterior rust, so what? It's all treatable. I see a LOT more aluminums go out of service quickly because of corrosion around a tank band.
I have old OMS LP125's that were previously doubled up by a guy in Tampa who blew his back out cave dive humping them into a site. Anything bigger than LP104's twinned is almost an absolute death sentence on your back UNLESS you regularly and religiousy keep your back in top shape.
I've never been a fan at all of HP steels. Just me, that's all.

Tom Winters:
My wife has one Asahi and one PST HP100. They're both fine - some slight differences, but nothing major.
I have Fabers and new Worthingtons LP85's. Both great. People get too hung up this tank stuff. Even if you have an old Faber with a little exterior rust, so what? It's all treatable. I see a LOT more aluminums go out of service quickly becasue of corrosion around a tank band.
I have old OMS LP125's that were previously doubled up by a guy in Tampa who blew his back out cave dive humping them into a site. Anything bigger than LP104's twinned is almost an absolute death sentence on your back UNLESS you regularly and religiousy keep your back in top shape.
I've never been a fan at all of HP steels. Just me, that's all.

Tom, that is why God made Divemasters/Instructor Candidates and students, to carry these dang things...:D

Sherwood SCUBA rep.:
There will be NEW Asahi Steel cylinders and Valves in mid to late 01/07

Cool! You showing at DEMA?

SparticleBrane:
Yeah, but you're a good bit taller than I am, yes?

About 1.5". The 95s stand me on my head. The 104s I tried were worse. I have not had a chance to try any 130s.

The Worthington 108s were nearly perfect. The 121s will probably be good too. It's a LOT easier to move a tank *up* in the bands to try to alleviate some leg heavy tendencies than to to maneuver weighting around because you are head heavy with the bands pushed to the crown of the tanks...

Every dive shop I have spoken to has recommended staying away from the Asahi's, unless it's a choice between buying a tank and not buying one. (Asahi's tend to be cheaper. But they won't last as long.)

I'd go with Worthington as choice #1, and Faber as choice #2. Actually, I'd put a lightly used PST as choice #2, but there are those who really love those Fabers. If new PSTs were still available, and the company was still a viable business entity, I'd put PST as #1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom