PST, Worthington or Asahi... What am I getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you say you want the best tanks I would say hold out for the worthington's. There are other tanks that are even better than worthington's, but if I'm correct in assuming that the three brands listed, asahi, pst and worth., are what your shop carries I would go with them. They are a fine cylinder and the only issue I have seen lately is the occaisional manufacturer hydro test remnants in the base that need to be cleaned out, not an issue for you at all.

I would definately avoid the Asahis, for all the reasons mentioned. I have visually inspected probably a 1000 or more tanks and the asahis are very prone to rusting inside with the slightest bit of moisture, gets expensive for you when the shop tumbles them every few years to keep them clean for nitrox use.

If the PSTs were a year old or so they would be great, but as mentioned previously, PST is no more. Depending on what happens with the company they may continue to produce some fine cylinders, atleast at first until their tooling begins to wear out, who knows, I will muster up the courage to wade through all the articles being written on PST sometime soon :)

Strider:
So, in your opinion what cylinder manufacture produces a steel cylinder better then Worthington? And what makes it better?

strider:
There are other tanks that are even better than worthington's

Fabers are nice tanks, no reason to criticize them. If you wash them regularly (as you should with ALL your dive gear) they'll last a long time.

PerroneFord:
These tanks require a 300bar DIN connection. Many regulators are not 300bar DIN. If they are not, they will not fit on that tank valve. Or more correctly, they will not seal. New regulators must be purchased in that case. A 300bar DIN regulator, WILL fin on both 200bar DIN tank valves, and 300bar DIN tank valves.

actually in the US there are virtually no 200 bar regs anymore, all you can get is 300 bar which works on both.

That being said get Worthingtons

SparticleBrane:
Fabers are nice tanks, no reason to criticize them. If you wash them regularly (as you should with ALL your dive gear) they'll last a long time.

Agree

I want a tank with the exterior of a PST (Worthington aren't quite as good) and the internals of a Faber (much better than PST or Worthington)

We ran into a Charlie Foxtrot before my last class because one of the students showed up with 200bar regs... The tanks were all 300bar DIN manifolds.

PerroneFord:
We ran into a Charlie Foxtrot before my last class because one of the students showed up with 200bar regs... The tanks were all 300bar DIN manifolds.

do you remember what regs they were? Old or new?

I haven't seen any in years

I'll probably end up getting Worthington 119s...although Faber 95s are quite tempting.

SparticleBrane:
I'll probably end up getting Worthington 119s...although Faber 95s are quite tempting.

80's alum and 104/108/e series 130's (all almost the same) work very well with the folks I dive with.

Yeah but they're just so ridiculously frikkin' huge!
I'm also ~5'10" so that could come into play. I've used double 95s before and they trimmed out perfectly. I'm going to attempt to try some 130s after a bit to see how they do. It's also a matter of $$, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom