PST E8-130 - Would you buy them used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have two PST E8-130 tanks that I bought new six years ago. I'm thinking of selling them now but I'm not sure what they are worth. They need a hydro. At the time I bought them they were great tanks but I know PST went out of business and I'm not sure if they can be hydro'd now or what they are worth. And yes, I did search but found very little on this topic other than some possible issues with getting the tanks recertified by DOT.

Thoughts?

I would get them hydro'd before I tried to sell them

http://www.underctek.com/open/boards/bulletinD100.pdf

I taped a copy of the instruction on both of mine and they passed last year.

People might be reluctant to buy them out of hydro and you would have to price them accordingly.

If they are current you will have no problem selling them

I sold mine 2 years ago for $275 each. With a new Hydro ask $300 and see what happens.

I don't think they're worth very much... therefore I'll give you $20 a tank and we'll split shipping. Sound like a good deal? :D

bertschb,

I agree with the others, Get the hydro test and fresh VIP. That will remove almost all of the buyers risk. With that done you can go nose to nose with the XS Scuba (Worthington) equivalent to your cylinder. Leisure pro is selling that item for $409. With fresh inspections getting the $300 is a very real possibility.

Pete

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I spent a lot of time studying tanks when I bought these but I'm out of the loop now. My local shop wants $31 for a hydro so I'll take care of that next week and then list them on Craig's List and see what happens.

...it is my understanding that the DOT 'exemption' for PST HP tanks expires 05/2011....from everything I've read, it doesn't sound too likely the exemption will be renewed (as PST is 'gone')....the consequence of this is a little hazy...one interpretation of this is that it will be illegal to hydro such tanks after 05/2011.....so these tanks will turn to scrap iron no later than 05/2016.......another interpretation is that it might be illegal to use such a tank...at all.....after 05/2011......I've been following the issue on 'thedecostop', trying to figure out what's going on...but I'm worried, as I own 7 such tanks. It may turn out to be a good idea to sell them now while you still can...before this 'issue' becomes more widely known and possibly ruins the resale value of these tanks.

Actually individuals can apply for exemptions on their own. There is an article on how to do this over on TDS and perhaps here as well. Try a search for PST exemption on both boards. I just had both my E7-80's done. Sold one and the other is pending. Not because of the exemption but because I just don't like HP tanks and especially the way these trimmed out for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom