Proton ice the last reg i'd ever need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
If I were to take advantage of my new 0% interest for one year credit card and pickup a proton ice setup with proton ice octo is this the last reg ill ever need to buy quality wise unless something odd happens to it?

I was comparing that to the abyss, but decided its worth the extra bit to get the proton ice, since cold is something I have more than enough of up here. I assume its about as smooth breathing as a reg can get? ive seen lots of discussion here on it but only a few people with actual field experience with it.

84CJ7:
If I were to take advantage of my new 0% interest for one year credit card and pickup a proton ice setup with proton ice octo is this the last reg ill ever need to buy quality wise unless something odd happens to it?

I was comparing that to the abyss, but decided its worth the extra bit to get the proton ice, since cold is something I have more than enough of up here. I assume its about as smooth breathing as a reg can get? ive seen lots of discussion here on it but only a few people with actual field experience with it.

Try it before buying.

I've done a handful of dives with it, and it is a very impressive reg. If I wanted a non-adjustable reg, it would probably be my top choice. If I wanted something with an adjustable 2nd stage, then I'd probably lean toward an Atomic or Zeagle. But the ice with an ice octo can be packaged up for about 500 bucks... I don't think you'll be dissapointed in the performance of the reg. They do breath nice...

As far as trying one iam not sure I know anyone or place that has one to try. I tried an older mr22/abyss titanium and didnt actually notice a hell of alot of difference over a regular mr12/axis, i assume it requires a much more demanding situation to really make the thing shine. I dont think id see any difference at all between the abyss and the ice performance wise, I just figured a 25% weight reduction on the first with the scs already in it and I would assume a smaller lighter second might be nice for the small price difference. The proton is lighter and smaller than the abyss isnt it?

Its more of a "my current reg set is going to my friend so what now" kinda situation and I figured might as well use my 0% interest and just buy my ultra long term reg set now. I havent looked at the other brands except scuba pro much, and though they may or may not be better than mares they lost in the cold debate, so i just stuck with mares. I was looking at some of the SP adjustables like the g250, and wasnt sure how often I would want to fiddle with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom