Pros and Cons of Rigid D-Ring on Hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very important that the left hip-dring be movable as that is where stage bottles will ride. With multiple bottles, depending on the amount of gas, the bottles will float/ride in different positions and you want them to be able to find the most natural position.

#1 What size bottle??
AL40 as redundant air source when diving single tank and in preparation for deco when diving doubles.
#2 Why are you clipping tanks on solo in the dry? On a boat get the DM or whatever to help.
Because I am a closet masochist :D and we do shore entries in the Winter when the boats do not run.
#3 Right index finger through the ring then clip into the left chest. Then do the tail.
This is where a photo would be great. Clip into the chest ring from above or below? And then, how the bottom?
With <50 dives I think you might be a little ahead of yourself using stage bottles already tho.
I can wait another 30 dives and then have exactly the same problem. Why not deal with it now?

Thanks.

rhlee: that makes the most sense of all to me honestly for a reason to keep a movable d-ring and not go to a rigid...though I'm not looking at multiple bottles anytime in the near future I am definitely a proponent of getting used to the best setup now and simply developing those skills over time.

Is that snow on them thar mountains? :cold:

Yup ... that picture was taken last Friday (New Year's Eve) ... air temps were in the mid-20's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

AL40 as redundant air source when diving single tank and in preparation for deco when diving doubles.

Because I am a closet masochist :D

This is where a photo would be great. Clip into the chest ring from above or below? And then, how the bottom?

I can wait another 30 dives and then have exactly the same problem. Why not deal with it now?

Thanks.

Couple thoughts...
Have you taken GUE-F or UTD Essentials or something like that? We don't carry redundant gas in a "pony" and switch to that gas source in a hurry (if OOA) for instance.

Some of the tricks of grabbing/flipping a D-ring and clipping it with dry gloves etc are one of the things taught in proper courses. Clipping bottles fluidly is especially problematic if you don't have that many dives and are still working on getting SPG clipping-unclipping down, adding a bottle is needlessly complicating the situation and potentially building some habits your instructor will just need to undo. Like not bringing the SPG around in a suitable arc, 2-handed clipping etc.

I'll try to take a pic of a hand in a bolt snap for you tonight tho.

Redundancy is good ...

Because I am a closet masochist :D and we do shore entries in the Winter when the boats do not run.
For shore entries, it's easier to stage your bottles in or near the water and clip them on when you get in ... they're a cinch when they don't weigh so much.

Clip into the chest ring from above or below? And then, how the bottom?
I prefer to clip "down" into the chest ring with the gate facing my body. I find it easier to unclip that way. The other advantage is that I clip my backup light the other direction, which makes identifying which is which simpler. For the waist ring, I prefer clipping back ... with the gate facing behind me.

Deal with it now ... learning earlier is better than later ... assuming you learn it properly from the get-go. If possible, find someone to work with you on these things. Figuring out skills through the internet often leads to developing bad habits that you then have to learn how to break ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Couple thoughts...
Have you taken GUE-F or UTD Essentials or something like that? We don't carry redundant gas in a "pony" and switch to that gas source in a hurry (if OOA) for instance.

Some of the tricks of grabbing/flipping a D-ring and clipping it with dry gloves etc are one of the things taught in proper courses. Clipping bottles fluidly is especially problematic if you don't have that many dives and are still working on getting SPG clipping-unclipping down, adding a bottle is needlessly complicating the situation and potentially building some habits your instructor will just need to undo. Like not bringing the SPG around in a suitable arc, 2-handed clipping etc.

I'll try to take a pic of a hand in a bolt snap for you tonight tho.

Appreciate the thoughts and comments.

I am taking Fundies with Bob Sherwood in February. Until then I need to dive, dive, dive. Problem is that some of my local 'buddies' are non-DIR same day same ocean types and that's where the oversized pony comes in. Since I paid for the darn thing and lug it around I figured I may get some motor skill practice out of it but I hear your concern about building bad habits.

One of the things a lot of people forget, is the DIR rigs were intended for no gloves, florida caves.... This doesn't mean that it can't and shouldn't be applied to cold water, but some stuff is different, which is why I fight with DIR people all the time...

people have been diving DIR style in 45F or colder water in puget sound, in ontario canada, and over in europe for more than a decade now, with no modifications other than thicker exposure protection.

Appreciate the thoughts and comments.

I am taking Fundies with Bob Sherwood in February. Until then I need to dive, dive, dive. Problem is that some of my local 'buddies' are non-DIR same day same ocean types and that's where the oversized pony comes in. Since I paid for the darn thing and lug it around I figured I may get some motor skill practice out of it but I hear your concern about building bad habits.

Great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom